Thank you, Dabid Curlee
Author: Tony Johnson
Date: 03-17-2015 - 08:10

I wish to publicly thank David Curlee for personally stepping forward by creating more awareness in raising needed funds for various railroad museums in the West. This all came about literally a few days before Winterail when Dave approached our historical railway society with this offer of help.

He was willing to donate a free Altamont Press timetable for a donation on any amount to a railroad museum. Through our mutual friend Carol Voss, who suggested our museum to David, he added our group to these other museums.
 Feather River Rail Society – Portola, CA.
 Niles Canyon Railway – Pacific Locomotive Association – Sunol, CA.
 Orange Empire Railway Museum – Perris, CA.
 Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation – Portland, OR.
 Pacific Railroad Society – San Dimas, CA.
 Southern Oregon Railway Historical Society – Medford Railroad Park – Medford, OR. (our group)

Arrangements were made with Vic Neves at Winterail to advertise the fundraiser between one of the afternoon media shows, plus have a table area where a representative for each railroad group would be present to explain (and show) a little about their museum’s restoration efforts. Donation cans at the tables were available, and a ton of free Altamont Press timetables were stacked in boxes and on top the tables.

Since this was somewhat of a last minute idea, an informational handout was given to all Winterail attendees. In it were these words from David.

“Thank you for your support of Altamont Press over the years.
“Many railroad museums across the country are hurting very badly due to lack of funds and volunteer manpower. We can’t ignore this problem any longer – some museums are already disposing of equipment because nobody is willing to maintain or restore it. Please consider donations of your time and money to the preservation of railroad history before it’s too late.”

I asked one of our members (Jerry Hellinga) if he would represent our Medford Railroad Park, and he agreed. The plan was to open the foyer after the Winterail dinner break at 6:30pm. For the next 30 minutes attendees could make a donation to the groups and receive an Altamont Press timetable of their choice.

I arrived around 6:40pm to document the fundraiser with photographs. It was not very busy; however there was a very long line of attendees waiting outside for the theater to open at 7:00pm for seats for the evening multi-media event. Well, it seemed most of the people waiting in line assumed they could make their donation after the doors opened, and that’s what they did. Big time! The foyer quickly was filled with lots of people making donations and picking up timetables. I don’t have the total donations that were split between the museums, but it was substantial!!!

Jerry told me that a whole lot of timetables went home that evening. The museums were very grateful, and I am too. Thank you, David for helping in a big way.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Thank you, Dabid Curlee Tony Johnson 03-17-2015 - 08:10
  Re: Thank you, Dabid Curlee Tony Johnson 03-17-2015 - 08:44
  Re: Thank you, Dabid Curlee David.Curlee 03-17-2015 - 12:21
  Volunteers needed - Sumpter Valley SVRR 03-17-2015 - 15:11
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... KRK 03-17-2015 - 15:54
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... Al Stangenberger 03-17-2015 - 17:48
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... SLOCONDR 03-17-2015 - 18:58
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... Negan 03-17-2015 - 19:13
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... Sumotuwe 03-17-2015 - 21:35
  Re: Long lasting Museum entities ... Bill Kohler 03-17-2015 - 19:04

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com