Re: A spot in Oroville, CA
Author: DCA
Date: 05-26-2015 - 17:13

Brings back memories of my short WP service in mid-1967 and a bit of the summer of '68. As a no-seniority brakeman (read "head brakeman") working the First and Second subdivisions I often picked up our "valley" engine at the roundhouse. That almost always meant an F7A and two F7B's. The incoming power off the Canyon was usually cut off at Oroville.

Every so often we'd change crews on the main because the incoming power was going on to Stockton or sometimes even Oakland. Then we'd get four of the new GP40's or a mix of those and GP35's. Even more rare was six F's coming off the Highline and going on to Stockton.

I recall working on occasion with a fast-running hogger who, with four big units, saw us hitting 70 for a few stretches. The speed limit then was maxed at 60 for freight, as I remember, but the ride at 70, at least on EMD's, was very smooth. Best we could do with three F's between Oroville and Stockton and a typical train was in the 40 mph range or a little better.

Four GP40's to Oakland made quick work of the 1 percent over Altamont Pass. Those units were big power in those days, now a long time ago.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  A spot in Oroville, CA The Odd Duck 05-26-2015 - 03:49
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA mook 05-26-2015 - 08:03
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA Reader 05-26-2015 - 09:32
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA hepkema 05-26-2015 - 12:33
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA Joe Magruder 05-26-2015 - 10:41
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA DCA 05-26-2015 - 17:13
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA George Andrews 05-26-2015 - 18:56
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA David Dewey 05-27-2015 - 00:13
  Re: A spot in Oroville, CA mook 05-27-2015 - 08:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com