Re: Spur at Basin, CA
Author: Kel Baker
Date: 08-26-2016 - 19:55

When Zephyr 18 & I chased 844 East after the 50th Anniversary Deal at LAUPT in 1989, we drove the maintenance road from Afton all the way to Kelso. ( Although we expected the train to be long gone, it was still at Kelso being serviced when we arrived. Another story for another day. ) Basin Siding gravel spur was there then; I recall it had a side dump car or 2 in it. The crossing with Tonopah & Tidewater at Crucero was no longer discernible, though some of the T & T Right of Way to the North was still visible.
On an earlier trip to Afton with The Train Punks, we found BOTH of the AFTON station signs; they had been re-purposed as side supports for an overhead A-Frame which had been used by some of the section gang employees for removing engines from their private autos. To think was to act, especially considering U.P. had recently eliminated the section gang & we knew of the scorched earth policy from Omaha. Sure enough, all the buildings were soon demolished with little trace remaining. My AFTON sign board hangs in my garage to this day.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Spur at Basin, CA Q. 08-25-2016 - 22:57
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA Ed Workman 08-26-2016 - 07:36
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA Q. 08-26-2016 - 15:35
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA Kel Baker 08-26-2016 - 19:55
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA sp1269 08-26-2016 - 20:30
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA sp1269 08-26-2016 - 20:39
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA Kel Baker 08-27-2016 - 16:32
  Re: Spur at Basin, CA vern moore 08-28-2016 - 13:06

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com