Re: Texas Eagle trip report/questions
Author: SCW
Date: 09-05-2016 - 23:40

I took the Sunset Limited 3 times, LAUS to El Paso and back in 2000, 2003 and 2004. On first trip, 4 hours late leaving LAUS. Fell asleep shortly after leaving, woke up a short time later, we weren't moving. Discovered later in morning we were in Colton for an hour and a half. Crossed the Colorado River in daylight. Crew change somewhere around Gila Bend area. Fifteen minutes after leaving, stopped again. This time a medical problem (diabetic coma I think it was), had to wait for helicopter. Arrived in El Paso over 9 hours late. And this is what its like on my first Amtrak trip? Were all Amtrak's that way? Return trip wasn't bad. Second time left LAUS more or less on time, arrived in El Paso hour and a half late. I can live with that. Return trip on the other hand, left El Paso 7 hours late. Third trip left LAUS 9 hours late and arrived El Paso, surprisingly, 9 1/2 hours late. I had enough of this. Next Amtrak trip was on the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque starting in 2006 and what a difference. Never notice any issues with the attendants or conductors, all seemed professional in my view regardless which route I took. In fact, I had one running the dining car go out of his way and made sure I was taken care of (forgot the reason why he did) and refused to let me pay for the food; on the house (I was in coach on that run). I have noticed in recent years that the on time performance of the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle has greatly improved. Maybe should take that route again. Despite the lateness of those first trips as well as the other trips after, a total of 8, it has been an interesting experience.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Texas Eagle trip report/questions mvs 09-05-2016 - 14:45
  Re: Texas Eagle trip report/questions Argonaut 09-05-2016 - 17:28
  Re: Texas Eagle trip report/questions sp1269 09-05-2016 - 19:51
  Re: Texas Eagle trip report/questions SCW 09-05-2016 - 23:40
  replies to Argonaut, sp1269, SCW mvs 09-06-2016 - 11:16
  Re: replies to Argonaut, sp1269, SCW SPSF747 09-06-2016 - 14:10
  reply to SPSF747 mvs 09-06-2016 - 14:57

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com