Re: Live Steam# Andy & Nudge
Author: Nudge
Date: 10-17-2016 - 17:50

Ken,
I guess I didn't get it straight. I thought I said Andy's engine went back to the mid-west somewhere and never was run again. He towed it back there himself. It was put on display somewhere. Didn't know C&O finally got it.

I purchased his 2-6-0 in the 80s. I used to run into him at St Johns, Sacramento, Oakland, etc. We became very good friends and he gave me a lot of parts, plans, etc that I still have to this date. The front sheet on the boiler failed so I rebuilt everything from the frame up. I took it to Tom Millers a few times to get the bugs out of it. It looked like it just left the shops, brand new with all the parts working including a Pyle-National generator that put light behind the water glass. I used all Super-Scale valves, injectors, and boiler checks and finished a lot of things Andy never got to. I put a rear head headlight on the tender and had a sign painter do the tiny lettering on the cab. Even the inside of the cab was painted seafoam green. Barney built for me a working air/water pump for it that fit right where the fake air pump was. I never got a chance to put it on the engine before it went to Sacto. Sacto still has the fuel box car somewhere, it was never displayed. It looked just like the one in the video he was towing for his propane but mine was lettered "Shasta Water Tank Car Service".

The Sacramento Museum contacted me and asked if they could display it for awhile. They were going to do a display on the SPs "Valley Mallet" and wanted it because it was so close to the real thing. Well, they had it a year and when I wanted it back they told me they wanted to keep it. They offered me a sum of money I could not turn down.

When I was rebuilding it, I ordered two builders plates for it. the first said built by Clerici Locomotives Works, Napa CA. and the date. The second, was mounted with the first one and it said, Rebuilt by Nugent Locomotive Works, Portland, OR and the date. They were mounted on the smoke box.

I think that is the way its sits to this day.

Nudge

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Ken Shattock (KRK) 10-16-2016 - 12:12
  Re: Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Margaret (SP fan) 10-16-2016 - 14:24
  Re: Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Cprr 10-16-2016 - 20:11
  Re: Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Tony Johnson 10-16-2016 - 21:06
  Re: Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Nudge 10-17-2016 - 11:58
  Re: Miniature Live Steam & BIG SP Steam.... Ken Shattock (IBLS) 10-17-2016 - 14:03
  Re: Live Steam# Andy & Nudge Nudge 10-17-2016 - 17:50
  Re: Live Steam# Andy & Nudge CSRM Docent 10-21-2016 - 11:17

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com