Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad
Author: Tim Stricker
Date: 07-30-2008 - 20:05

For those of you not familiar with the history of the area. Shasta County was once the premier place for copper. However almost all the remains of Shasta County's once thriving "Copper Belt" are now under the waters of Shasta Lake except for the few mines south of Shasta Dam and portions of the mine on Bully Hill on the Pit River branch of Shasta Lake. Now there has been talk every once in a while of being able to extract more copper from Iron Mountain due the advances in mining technology and the price of copper (which is why the area died off after WWI becasue of a fall a coppers prices made it not profitable to mine it anymore and the copper in some places was getting to expensive to extract.) I doubt this will ever happen, nor will it be enough to build a railroad up to Iron Mountain. Also Lakehead doen't seem like the greatest place to put an interchange for a railroad anyway. Also parts of the original SP mainline and the narrow gauge Iron Mountain Railway are either being used for a biking trail (Sacramento River Trail) under a lake (Keswick Lake) or have been built by roads, houses, ect. Just some thoughts of mine. I've lived in Redding since I was 3 (I'm 22 now) and I am pretty familiar with the area geogrphically and historically.

Tim Stricker

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Talk of new Balakala railroad Dan 07-29-2008 - 09:42
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Graham Buxton 07-29-2008 - 13:08
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Rich Hunn 07-29-2008 - 14:20
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Al Stangenberger 07-30-2008 - 22:39
  Mining interests? Matt K 07-29-2008 - 21:00
  What a bunch of BS! More like Bala ka ka RR..... Mining Engineer Steve 07-29-2008 - 23:17
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad John Barnhill 07-30-2008 - 16:01
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Rich Hunn 07-30-2008 - 16:05
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Tim Stricker 07-30-2008 - 20:05
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad John Barnhill 07-31-2008 - 18:31
  Re: Talk of new Balakala railroad Rich Hunn 08-01-2008 - 06:32
  Iron Mountain Lee Hower 08-01-2008 - 09:04
  Re: Iron Mountain John Barnhill 08-01-2008 - 15:49

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com