Re: Three Step Protection Experience taught me people screw up......
Author: Glen Icanberry
Date: 08-30-2017 - 22:27

SP 5103, BOB2 and Red made some excellent points. This is one of the better discussions, from railroaders, that has ever been presented on Altamont Press. All three obviously understand safe railroading. A few of the old head retirees I know believe that saying "Set and Centered" is unnecessary. But based on what the three of you wrote, it is entirely possible, that in today's railroading, it is not only a matter of safety but staying alive. It certainly could not hurt, just slows things down a bit or is perceived at cumbersome by a few. Considering how quickly conductors and engineers are qualified today, it makes even more sense. The insight is greatly appreciated and respected, or at least it should be.

While I never worked in train and engine service, as a train dispatcher, I did ride with experienced railroaders, and specifically went on some locals and roadswitchers, to learn. Feel that it was very fortunate that back in the 80's and 90's some of the best people were working, who showed me what they did and were willing to explain it.

Red's point about counting lanterns brought back the memory of a blue ribbon crew Engr Scott Wieseman, Condr Tom Wilson and Bkmn Chris Gonzales, were switching a packing house on the Santa Fe at Exeter, CA. Scott Wieseman was leaning out the engineer's side window and constantly turning in his seat, to change directions. This allowed me to stand near the engineer's back window and watch the hand signals. Scott specifically invited me to stand there, saying he could lean out his window and see past me, while allowing me to follow what the crew was doing. Most engineers did this turning in the seat and changing hands, that were working the controls, without even having to look at the controls, due to so much previous practice. Regulating speed was by feel and experience. Handling the air was something to observe also, considering these men, do it often without having to use gauges, and again by feel and experience. Rest assured Scott had that honest, real experience. I remember him pointing out that he wanted to be able to see both lanterns before he moved, and commented that no matter what they might say on the radio, he always looked for his crew first. He also pointed out a couple of instances when they were showing cars, and went through switches and/or around curves, that sometimes during the actual move, one lantern might be hidden by the moving train. But also pointed out that the other trainman was relaying signals from the man riding the point. The cooperation and skill of a good crew switching at night is a sight to behold.

I had opportunities to observe switching mostly from off a train, before and since. But will always remember that night, in 1983, and what that crew told me, and demonstrated, because they knew that I wanted to learn from them. Too bad that on today's abbreviated railroad, such good railroading has to be regulated with more rules and sometimes involves less experienced rails.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Three Step Protection As Information 08-25-2017 - 16:49
  Re: Three Step Protection Todd 08-25-2017 - 18:09
  Re: Three Step Protection Hot Water 08-25-2017 - 18:20
  Re: Three Step Protection Ernest H. Robl 08-25-2017 - 19:05
  Re: Three Step Protection tundraboomer 08-25-2017 - 19:38
  Re: Three Step Protection RjCorman 08-25-2017 - 19:46
  Re: Three Step Protection SP5103 08-25-2017 - 21:06
  Re: Three Step Protection Mike 08-25-2017 - 21:20
  Re: Three Step Protection Shortline Sammie 08-26-2017 - 10:24
  Re: Three Step Protection 102500 08-27-2017 - 10:19
  Re: Three Step Protection Just Sayin' 08-27-2017 - 10:58
  Re: Three Step Protection Experience taught me people screw up...... BOB2 08-27-2017 - 13:48
  Re: Three Step Protection Experience taught me people screw up...... Red 08-27-2017 - 14:02
  Re: Three Step Protection Experience taught me people screw up...... Glen Icanberry 08-30-2017 - 22:27
  Re: Three Step Protection Experience taught me people screw up...... OPRRMS 08-31-2017 - 21:24

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com