Steamtown 1972
Author: Freericks
Date: 08-24-2008 - 11:19

Group,

I wish I could go back in time to this day, both because at ten I was obsessed with steam locomotives and had the time of my life, and to give my dad a better camera to have captured the moment. Unfortunately, this image is blurry and grainy, as all of my dad's shots had become before he upgraded to a Konica a couple years later. But, it's an image I still hold dear to my heart.

That is me on the steps and my brother in the cab of Nickel Plate Berkshire #759 at Steamtown in Vermont.

[knox.rrpicturearchives.net]

Back in the summer of 1972, the anticipation I felt for this trip was palpable... and I recall telling neighborhood friends that I was going to the locomotive Mecca of Steamtown months ahead of time. We checked into a motel nearby, and all got up quite early that morning as my dad and brother were just as excited as I was (my mom was even into it, as I recall) It was a hot, hot day, but in the early 1970s, you still dressed up to go sight-seeing, and you'll notice I'm wearing nice long pants and a nice shirt. I remember how dusty the place was and how desperate I was for water (and the comfort of watching the film on F. Nelson Blount in a small theater away from the sun). But most of all, I remember those huge locomotives and how in awe I was of each of them (The Big Boy, the Reading Northern, and most of all this Nickel Plate Berkshire, were my favorites).

Really hard to believe that was 36 years ago... let alone that by the time I got back to Steamtown, it was in another state.

Thanks so much for looking and corrections are welcome.

Charles Freericks

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Steamtown 1972 Freericks 08-24-2008 - 11:19
  Re: Steamtown 1972 choochoo1@isp2k.com 08-24-2008 - 15:56
  Re: Steamtown 1972 Craig Tambo 08-24-2008 - 20:31
  Re: Steamtown 1972 Bruce Kelly 08-25-2008 - 12:43

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com