Re: You could take a train to Coachella...We don't presume, we plan....
Author: BOB2
Date: 03-11-2019 - 15:48

wandering wonderer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wondered about that too. At least one other stop,
> maybe in the San Bernardino or Pomona area with a
> large parking lot at the station or in easy
> shuttle distance, would seem appropriate. One
> presumes that the train would use the Sunset (SP)
> route out of downtown LA.

We don't presume, we plan. Based on travel demands and travel patterns (traffic volumes, origins and destination pairs, route choices, mode choices, travel costs) we look at historical, existing, and predicted travel growth, and identify future transportation "needs". Then we develop alternatives, and test them, for costs, benefits, tradeoffs, and impacts.

I've don a lot of work on this, and at least some of you would apparently be surprised by the data showing significant commute travel demand from the Coachella Valley into even Orange County and LA County. PeMS data supports this. And, ten years ago when I was still working with the good folks down in the Coachella Valley, the trains was looking better and better. Yes, it would cost a billion, as I assumed that we would need an additional passenger main to "mitigate" the UP's entirely legitimate business concerns with the impacts on one of the highest volume rail freight line in the world.

Since there is so much demand for travel into Riverside, Orange, and LA Counties, I would look at a passenger flyover and connection to the 3rd District at West Colton, allowing for direct service to OC and LA via either the BNSF via Fullerton, or the UP via Pomona. I would also look at a connection "up the wash" at old Redlands Jct. to a connection with the Redlands line, and assess the costs and benefits of direct service via San Berdoo and the San Berdoo line.

We already have a developed set of connecting rail passenger routes, so I would not think that the Sunset (which duplicates the UP passenger alignment) would be necessary, and would present major additional costs in avoiding interference with things like West Colton.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) mvs 03-09-2019 - 11:50
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) Commenter 03-09-2019 - 18:10
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) and permanent service...well? BOB2 03-09-2019 - 18:53
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) John Bruce 03-11-2019 - 10:27
  For 1% of the California HSR 100 billion + budget Taxpayer 03-11-2019 - 12:04
  Re: For 1% of the California HSR 100 billion + budget toot 03-11-2019 - 12:09
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) wandering wonderer 03-11-2019 - 12:09
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella...We don't presume, we plan.... BOB2 03-11-2019 - 15:48
  up the wash mvs 03-11-2019 - 18:29
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella...We don't presume, we plan.... wandering wonderer 03-11-2019 - 21:31
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella...We don't presume, we plan.... BOB2 03-12-2019 - 01:55
  Re: You could take a train to Coachella... (next year) Fred Sanford 03-11-2019 - 16:07
  BOB2 might remember this study JOHN 03-11-2019 - 20:18
  Re: BOB2 might remember this study-Is that you professor? BOB2 03-12-2019 - 02:26
  Re: BOB2 might remember this study-Is that you professor? THE NUTTY PROFESSOR 03-12-2019 - 20:53

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com