Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many?
Author: GNGoat
Date: 02-21-2007 - 02:15

Well I remember being told TR bought the cars because they didnt want to "rent" cars from the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad when MRSR was using their steam locomotive and passenger cars around the TR yard for the Port Days.

I can understand them having cars to move politicians, etc, but 4 cars seems more than they need. And while some say the cars are not for Train to the Mountain, i've heard otherwise.

TR has been to the City Council recently needing more money because the Mountain division is losing money, plus they are complaining the revenue is down moving containers. As reported recently, BNSF negotiated new rates for one of the shipping lines for moving their containers and it was higher. The shipper promptly moved the ships back to LA.

Which brings up another question. State is suppose to spend up to $200 million dollars on Stampede Pass Tunnel so double stacks can run that way. When I hear that we are moving less or equal amount of containers, why then is state going to spend the $200 million? how much is BNSF going to contribute?

Personally I think Stampede Tunnel should be done so it can accomodate double stack trains.

And, some say it takes longer for a train to get to Spokane going via Stampede vs Stevens Pass? How about time comparison over Stampede vs running through the Columbia Gorge?

And the rumor of UP having trackage rights over Stampede sounds interesting. I could see BNSF letting UP having the trackage rights over Stampede for APL trains out of Seattle going east. That way, BNSF wouldnt have to deal with UP trains from Seattle to Vancouver, WA on their trackage.

In conclusion on TR passenger cars. I would think it would be better to move them in the building just north of the main TR office... it has two tracks inside of it and sits vacant most of the time. At one point I saw nothing stored in that building for almost a year, now you see locomotives in it from time to time, but not for a lengthy period. I would think it would be better to move those passenger cars inside for storage. TR has already spent money on the passenger cars for repairs.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? GNGoat 02-18-2007 - 03:19
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? Brian 02-19-2007 - 10:52
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? almo 02-19-2007 - 21:30
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? S. L. Murray 02-19-2007 - 22:14
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? Phil Schwiesow 02-19-2007 - 23:14
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? GNGoat 02-20-2007 - 02:15
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? S. L. Murray 02-20-2007 - 11:42
  Re: Tacoma Rail Passenger Cars - How many? GNGoat 02-21-2007 - 02:15
  Stampede Pass Costs Donovan Gray 02-21-2007 - 16:39

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com