Re: another Caltrain collision today
Author: synonymouse
Date: 11-08-2008 - 14:14

A repeated pattern of serious service disruptions may not mean much as far as freight operations are concerned, but they really hurt passenger business. IMHO Caltrain has shown a pattern of excessive disruptions that needs attention, more than usual, more than in the past. Times are tough but it seems in particular that Caltrain is attracting more than its share of suicide attempts.

One of the most effective arguments that bus advocates have put forth over the years is that buses are much better at dealing with disruptions than fixed guideway systems. They can go around. These disruptions can cause a lot of bitterness and very bad pr for the cause of rail transit.

An historical anecdote that I heard a number of years ago might help to illustrate my point. Shortly after the Second World War there was a major fire south of Market Street in San Francisco, I believe on 11th Street. Fire hoses were stretched across the streetcar tracks and service was stopped for many hours. Access to Potrero carhouse was cut off. While I'm sure this type of incident had happened before this particular disruption had to occur just at the crucial moment when the fate of the streetcar system hung in the balance. My inside source felt it confirmed Muni management's decision to scrap most of the streetcar system in favor of buses.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  another Caltrain collision today synonymouse 11-06-2008 - 10:18
  Re: another Caltrain collision today OPRRMS 11-06-2008 - 10:25
  Re: another Caltrain collision today Advance Starpacer 11-06-2008 - 11:27
  Re: another Caltrain collision today Reral 11-06-2008 - 12:49
  Re: another Caltrain collision today J 11-06-2008 - 11:33
  Re: another Caltrain collision today Jacob Marley 11-06-2008 - 20:37
  Re: another Caltrain collision today Q 11-08-2008 - 11:01
  Re: another Caltrain collision today synonymouse 11-08-2008 - 14:14
  Re: another Caltrain collision today OldPoleBurner 11-08-2008 - 19:55
  Re: another Caltrain collision today synonymouse 11-09-2008 - 11:07
  Re: another Caltrain collision today Q 11-09-2008 - 12:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com