Re: Governor Vetoes SB 127--and catches it from both sides...
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-15-2019 - 14:18

For those who learned math, in the pre "common core" era, back when we had to actually "solve" the problem, rather than get really good at guessing the "right" answer on multiple choice tests, who can still count cars, that picture is a wonderful piece of evidence, on exactly why this "road diet" is crazy.

Above a certain hourly lane volumes of traffic volume level, these "road diets" actually significantly increase traffic congestion (even exponentially to gridlocked conditions in some cases), significantly increase travel times, which (due to increases stop and go congestion) significatly increases fuel use, thus creating more (not less) CO2 emissions.

So much for "saving the planet" with road diets... And, the same with much of the research, or rather the lack thereof, on the purported safety to cyclist's, nor even much data on actual pedestrian safety, or of any "causal" relationship to increased cycling as a mode. Math free, "faith based" traffic engineering, at its best....

These "road diets" also create traffic "dams" which back up and overflow cars now not able to use the arterials, onto adjacent residential streets, resulting in huge increases in "cut through" traffic through those neighborhoods, increasing fuel use and CO2 emissions from longer more indirect routing, while increasing accident rates, reducing home values, and pissing off otherwise normal folks, who vote... Sounds like a great idea to me.....

The article was predictable, and maybe not that surprising, given I was told that "Complete Streets" and this media source are funded from the same pockets.

It is a piece that clearly assumes there must be benefits... if only we could somehow overcome these clearly malicious backward people at "evil" Caltrans, and all of those awful folks driving their "evil" cars, right?

I guess, that if you want to believe something hard enough... you can believe almost anything is true.... I guess Mouse is kind of proof of that, although those voice in his head are probably emanating from a different time space dimension.....

I think the other part of the article about the road cuts, in this cycle and the moving of those funds to more near term rail and transit projects (including LAUPT run-through)make good points. This screw the roads nonsense, is bad public policy. On the other hand, taking some for these short term rail and transit projects, was maybe the political "trade off" which allowed him to veto this nonsense, right?

Welcome to how rea politics works, the Governor gave the pro transit interests extra funding to accelerate a number of transit and rail projects. Which allows him to say NO to one of the fringier and dubious "bad roads movement" elements of the "pro transit" coalition nd told them NO to stealing a billion more from our road maintenance and modernization projects for these phony "road diets".

More LAUPT funding, to complete it before the 2028 Olympics, and less road diets, that don't work, increase congestion and pollution, and piss of otherwise sane and sensible voters... In doing so, Gavin's managed to piss off both whiny fringes... Oh well...

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Governor Vetoes SB 127--and catches it from both sides... BOB2 10-15-2019 - 09:52
  Re: Governor Vetoes SB 127--and catches it from both sides... Commenter 10-15-2019 - 13:06
  Re: Governor Vetoes SB 127--and catches it from both sides... BOB2 10-15-2019 - 14:18
  Re: Governor Vetoes SB 127--and catches it from both sides... R Ruiz 10-15-2019 - 17:00
  Re: .Do I care? Nope, but it's good to know that you do...... BOB2 10-15-2019 - 18:13
  Clearly R Ruiz 10-15-2019 - 19:47
  Re: Clearly KLA874 10-15-2019 - 20:25
  Re: Clearly? I got paid to know, not "believe".... BOB2 10-15-2019 - 21:21
  Let's cut to the chase Rosie Ruiz 10-16-2019 - 10:18
  Re: Let's cut to the chase and repeat and repeat... Commenter 10-16-2019 - 11:56
  Re: Let's cut to the chase Bill 10-16-2019 - 15:24
  Re: Let's cut to the chase HUTCH 7.62 10-16-2019 - 21:57
  Re: Hutch, have youe ever heard of the Federal Subsidy on Flood Insurance? And, remember when the Sunset went through... BOB2 10-17-2019 - 04:05
  Re: Hutch, have youe ever heard of the Federal Subsidy on Flood Insurance? And, remember when the Sunset went through... HUTCH 7.62 10-17-2019 - 08:46
  BOB2 - remember when the Sunset went through PE NEWPORT 1940 10-17-2019 - 14:56
  Re: BOB2 - remember when the Sunset went through Ghost of the L&N 10-18-2019 - 03:21
  Re: Clearly? I got paid to know, not "believe".... Lake Austin RR 10-16-2019 - 10:28
  Re: Thank you for the compliment Rosie... Two fer the price of one...love it! BOB2 10-16-2019 - 17:27

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com