Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership Maybe? Maybe not? We'll see?
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-19-2019 - 20:13

FUD gave all of the links to the legally required counts which are posted and available on -lone. This meme seems to be coming from this paper. They collect data required using a methodology identified by the FTA.

Now, would I collect and release more data than the minimum required, yes. Do other agencies track and make this level of data available, generally no. Most do systems do monthly's by weekday, Saturday, and Sunday, average monthly. Why, because most, use the minimum sampling methods prescribed, and although we have certain better counting technology, like we can get from things like TAP cards, since they are not required to, very few who do collect, archive, collate, or release it at that level of detail.

If SMART actually has this data, by train, by time, they absolutely will have to release it, at some point. I would collect and release more data. If they are not collecting and or archive that level of, which is equally likely, given my misgivings about some of SMART's smart's, they simply may not have the data at this arbitrary level these folks would like to see.

If SMART's management is lying, then they're pretty damned stupid, but there is a lot of that going around these days. And, yes being stupid would probably not help the reauthorization of the sales tax. Making up a story about SMART supposedly withholding data that doesn't exist could also cause the public to question SMART and undermine the sales tax reauthorization, by promoting a dubious conspiracy theory. Welcome to the real world of hit piece or gotcha political "journalism"...

We'll see when this newspaper files the FOIA requests, and the judge asks if SMART actually has this data. Then we'll actually know, and if they do, then these folks will probably get it. If not, then it will still be part of the vast evil SMART conspiracy to some folks, anyhow... As that's the seed that's been planted, by a story like this, even if it is later proven untrue.

SMARTS published number suck, they seem to have a longer lag than most, but within the data reporting requirements they are following, so we should see how the new stations and better schedules are working out, when they begin publishing that updated "aggregate" data, as they are required to.

I'm big on looking at station boarding number trends, passenger mile trends, as well as trips. The more the better, let folks have it, let folks see what works and what isn't... Probably would hurt SMART's management a bit, if they looked at this level of data themselves, to see what they're doing right, or wrong.

The more data and transparency the better as far as I'm concerned, and having complied with compiling crap for FOIA requests, if you have it, just copy it, and give it to them. You shouldn't lie to the public, because it's our money, and we have a right to know.

And, you shouldn't lie to yourself, or try to hide things like this from the public, because then, in this business, working as a public servant, in a state with strong FOIA laws, and lots of lawyers, you're a fool and an idiot. Of course, in my career, I've found no acute shortage of that kind of short sighted self serving stupid which comes back to bite you, within some agencies.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership Ken 12-19-2019 - 08:30
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership China Bot Kwan Wo 12-19-2019 - 19:15
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership Maybe? Maybe not? We'll see? BOB2 12-19-2019 - 20:13
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership Maybe? Maybe not? We'll see? brains 12-19-2019 - 20:37
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership FUD 12-20-2019 - 07:17
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership FUD 12-20-2019 - 07:20
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership ron 12-20-2019 - 09:12
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership? Oh Ron.... BOB2 12-20-2019 - 09:41
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership? Oh BOBBY 2 .... ron 12-20-2019 - 10:09
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership? As I said Ron, so can you answer my questions? No. .... BOB2 12-20-2019 - 13:21
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership? Oh BOBBY 2 .... Keith Ode 12-20-2019 - 15:25
  Re: SMART Slammed for Withholding Ridership? Oh BOBBY 2 .... FUD 12-21-2019 - 08:22

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com