Union Pacific Black Butte Sub Snow Operations Questions
Author: Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez
Date: 01-16-2020 - 10:26

Curious if someone can help with a few questions regarding snow removal operations on Union Pacific's Black Butte Sub. First off, feel free to correct anything I've written that is not correct. I can be reached off list at mbatryn[at]gmail(dot)com if you prefer to reply off list.

UP keeps a Jordan Spreader and a flanger at both Dunsmuir and Klamath Falls for snow removal. My understanding is that the equipment at K Falls is typically used on the southern portion of the Cascade Sub, while the equipment at Dunsmuir is typically used on the Black Butte Sub. In addition from listing to radio traffic, it sounds like ballast regulators are being used out of Dunsmuir for some snow removal in the current storm.

How deep does UP look for the snow to be before they bring out a ballast regulator?

How deep does UP look for the snow to be before they bring out the flangers?

How deep does UP look for the snow to be before they bring out the spreaders?

What power is used for the flangers and/or spreaders? UP keeps a pair of locomotives at Dunsmuir for helper service, and my assumption is one or both of these locos would be used.

What symbols do flanger and spreader trains typically run as?

When UP needs to remove snow from the Black Butte sub (flanger of spreaders) do they typically run all the way from Dunsmuir to K Falls? The only places to turn equipment I know of are Texum (K Falls), Black Butte, and Dunsmuir. Or do they make the return trip in reverse (seems easier with a spreader than a flanger unless you had a second loco behind the flanger).

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
~Matt

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Union Pacific Black Butte Sub Snow Operations Questions Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez 01-16-2020 - 10:26
  Re: Union Pacific Black Butte Sub Snow Operations Questions SP5103 01-16-2020 - 15:51
  Re: Union Pacific Black Butte Sub Snow Operations Questions Matt C. Batryn-Rodriguez 01-16-2020 - 22:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com