Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment
Author: George Andrews
Date: 04-26-2022 - 20:35

Peter D. - I was also on what turned out to be The last REAL RGZ. A girlfriend & I did the whole trip, including Amtrak round-trip from Los Angeles to Denver via Cheyenne. We spent Wednesday April 13th ( " Never on Wednesday " ) driving around a cold & snowy Denver, looking through the fence at The Forney Museum, and losing a hubcap off the rental car on Denver's POS roads.
On Thursday I was surprised to see, even at that late date, that so many passengers only rode as far as Glenwood Springs or Grand Junction. We pretty much had the train to ourselves West of Grand Junction. I also remember riding in the Dome of Silver Sky as we SLOWLY CREPT across the mudslide, at less than walking speed, as it was lifting up the track at Thistle.
Come Friday morning we returned to Rio Grande's Salt Lake City depot, where the conductor announced that : " ... only passengers ticketed through to Denver will be allowed to board. " When I asked why he replied : " The mountain fell down last night. " Three more disappointments awaited: 1) Having to ride ( for the 2nd of what turned out to be 3 times in 8 days ) across Wyoming - AGAIN -, and 2) not being able to enjoy another dinner of Broiled Sirloin Steak or Rocky Mountain Trout. The 3rd disappointment -- Not riding back down the Front Range into Denver that evening.
I've never been back, though I still have my copy of the Richard Loveman / Mel Patrick book Never on Wednesday, with page 80 ( describing the dining car ) autographed by the Dining Car Steward.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment D. B. Arthur 04-24-2022 - 19:11
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment AZebra 04-24-2022 - 21:40
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment D. B. Arthur 04-24-2022 - 21:53
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment pueblo 04-25-2022 - 09:49
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment OPRRMS 04-25-2022 - 10:34
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment Peter D. 04-26-2022 - 14:14
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment D. B. Arthur 04-26-2022 - 19:18
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment George Andrews 04-26-2022 - 20:35
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first InstallmentRGZ!! Peter D. 04-27-2022 - 16:33
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first InstallmentRGZ!! Peter D. 04-27-2022 - 16:57
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first InstallmentRGZ!! George Andrews 04-27-2022 - 18:20
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first InstallmentRGZ!! Peter D. 04-27-2022 - 23:35
  Here's the links D. B. Arthur 04-28-2022 - 00:08
  Re: Here's the links Peter D. 04-28-2022 - 08:49
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment Don B. 05-01-2022 - 22:23
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval - Forty-first Installment D. B. Arthur 05-04-2022 - 21:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com