Re: "The Shops" -? I worked for Stormin Norman, Ralph, the Rug Peddler, and even the "evil twin"....
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-21-2022 - 04:01

I worked with Ralph and the Rug Peddler, too.

You had CQP's old job, so I've probaby even worked with you.

I worked for the the "evil twin" (his brother was a well liked switchman), who got the "smart idea" of having us set the pig tracks from the bottom end of the Shops, through Pasadena Junction one day, by having us pull the pigs all of the way back into number 3 track at LAUPT, and shove through the notorious reverse double compound curves, into the bottom of the middle tracks. We told him it was a bad idea, I recall it may have been Sam Gotch as foreman, and we made sure we told him "no" dumb idea several times on the radio.

Well, we started shoving, and I made sure it was real slow. After we had gone into the curve and came to the PMT crossig, I felt the slack run in and stopped, as Sam Gotch annonuced on the radio, that we were on the ground, on the crossing in the compound curve. I was going so slowly that only the first truck of the pig "walked off" he track.

Well, now we had the whole fricking world tied up, at five pm, with all of the peak Amtak fleet blocked. We uncoupled the car, and backed all of the way up track 3 to about three car lengths to spare, and another job came down and pulled them off or us, after we'd blocked every passenger train for about 45 minutes.

George V Delellis (aka "delerious" for his well known insane full blown Italian style ass chewings...)used to monitor the Shop and Road channels in his car. He heard the whole thing including our pleas to the "evil twin" not to do stupid. When we finally got pulled all of the way back to Shops tower (so the other job could spot the pigs from the top like sane people knew to do), George was pulling up to the tower, and proceeded to tear the "evil twin' up one side and down the other, for being so stupid as to try to set the tracks from the bottom, resulting in an additon to the special instructions not to do this ever.

Just another exciting day at the Shops. I still have the original Pasadena Junction sign (which I saved after the Valley pig train to it out in a derailment), hanging over the model I built of Shops tower and the full sized I-5 freeway bridge I built (homage to my freeay building career) on my layout.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Here's A Good Aerial Photo of UP's L.A. Transportation Center (a.k.a. "The Shops") Chuck Martin & P.T. Moore 10-20-2022 - 08:57
  Re: Here's A Good Aerial Photo of UP's L.A. Transportation Center (a.k.a. "The Shops") BOB2 10-20-2022 - 11:12
  Re: Here's A Good Aerial Photo of UP's L.A. Transportation Center (a.k.a. "The Shops") D. B. Arthur 10-20-2022 - 22:34
  Re: "The Shops" -? I worked for Stormin Norman, Ralph, the Rug Peddler, and even the "evil twin".... BOB2 10-21-2022 - 04:01
  Re: "The Shops" -? I worked for Stormin Norman, Ralph, the Rug Peddler, and even the "evil twin".... D. B. Arthur 10-21-2022 - 10:03
  Re: "The Shops" -? I worked for Stormin Norman, Ralph, the Rug Peddler, and even the "evil twin".... Tom H 10-21-2022 - 13:29
  Re: "The Shops" -? GVD kept LA open a lot longer, and a hell of a lot folk working by moving more cars BOB2 10-21-2022 - 15:09
  Where You Working At West Colton When This Happened? SP LA 17 and a half 10-22-2022 - 06:19
  Re: Where You Working At West Colton When This Happened? Nope, but I had worked for Pinky and his dad.... BOB2 10-22-2022 - 09:59
  Re: Back to The Photo... Just Sayin'... 10-24-2022 - 19:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com