Re: Watermarks and Preservations of Slide Collections
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 12-14-2023 - 07:34

AZebra Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> I like seeing you share your photos to this site, and I would like to do the same with some of mine, before I someday die and whomever ends up dealing with my stuff throws them all out. Especially pictures that have railroaders in them, showing them doing their job, I would like to post in case any of their family and friends are out there; my grandfather was a locomotive engineer on a northeastern railroad, and every so often a picture surfaces in a book or on the web of him on the railroad, and it makes my day.

My question to you was more about do you need to save to Flickr, Imgur, Photobucket or elsewhere then link to your photo, or can you save directly to AP?

I don't think you can save directly to AP. I could be wrong. I believe Flickr, Imgur, Photobucket and others all hit you up for money to "host" your photos. The one I've been using here on AP, [imgbb.com], so far has not charged me anything and I've posted almost 250 photos. How long this good arrangement will continue is hard to say. Maybe one day I'll get around to reading their Terms of Service!

> Since our paths have apparently crossed a couple of times on some of these trips (Nacozari, NN, others) I would certainly like to download a copy of some of your photos of those same trips if you are cool with it.

Yeah, no problem. I haven't gone through and watermarked all of them. I probably should but it's time consuming. If you use any of my photos, all I ask is that you make a small notation in your write-up or caption that I was the photographer.

> But yes, please watermark them first, if it's not my picture, then I want to know who's it is and where it came from!

I guess I don't really view it as "the end of the world" or lawsuit potential if I see one of my photos floating around on the Internet and no mention is made that I took the photo. In a perfect world I would like credit to be given. Even if I watermarked them, similar to what Negin did in the post he made on DEC 12 at 12:26, people can still crop the photo to not include the watermark or take other measures to erase the watermark. That stuff happens and one just has to deal with it.

What I ought to do is find some young railfan that I can will my extensive slide collection to, someone who could do something like what Evan Werkema, Elrond Lawrence and Marty Bernard have been doing -- preserving, posting and publishing 35mm slides of deceased railfans. I've also thought about willing my collection to the Center for Railroad Photography and Art, but I don't know if they'd be interested. Maybe someone from their organization can explore what I've posted here on AP and see if my stuff meets what they're looking for. I've thought about willing my Mexican stuff to the historical society for NdeM or to some young Mexican railfan -- of which there are many, surprisingly enough.

Maybe I'll will everything to Dale Jones, who publishes lots of stuff. He and I have talked about doing a book, but so far it's just been talk. After I croak all the procrastination will cease and then he'll be able to get down to business!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-thirty-eighth Installment D. B. Arthur 12-11-2023 - 18:35
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-thirty-eighth Installment GRD 12-11-2023 - 18:50
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-thirty-eighth Installment AZebra 12-11-2023 - 19:25
  Here's an Index D. B. Arthur 12-11-2023 - 21:07
  Re: Here's an Index Negin 12-12-2023 - 00:26
  Wow! D. B. Arthur 12-12-2023 - 01:24
  Re: Wow! Negin 12-13-2023 - 23:43
  Re: Here's an Index AZebra 12-13-2023 - 18:06
  Re: Here's an Index in the digital dark age Project No Future 12-13-2023 - 20:18
  Re: Watermarks and Preservations of Slide Collections D. B. Arthur 12-14-2023 - 07:34

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com