Northwestern Station Demolition Question
Author: Jim
Date: 04-24-2009 - 12:14

Hi guys,

I have a quesiton about the demolition of the C&NW station in Chicago in 1984. I remember reading in Trains Magazine as a young kind that it and the LaSalle Street station were threatened, but there was a movement to preserve the C&NW station.

From photos, it looked to be very architecturally significant. Since the US has at least become better at historical preservation, I'm surprised that that station was allowed to be demolished in fairly recent times. There's the "Wailing Wall for Historical Preservation" nearby in Chicago that's an arch from the demolished Stock Exchange Building in 1972. I guess that didn't stop them from destroying the C&NW station later though.

I'm curious as to the history of the C&NW station demolition. Was it considered for landmark status? Was there a big preservation fight? Was it in good condition and considered architecturally significant? Did the City of Chicago just roll over and let it be torn down? Was it as worthy of architecture preservation as I'm thinking? Couldn't the Citicorp buildng have been built over the tracks, while the head station was preserved?

Admittedly, from photos I've seen of the LaSalle Street Station (demolished in 1981) it was nothing special, but the C&NW station looked to be well worth preserving.

I'm interested in hearing the background on this if anyone is familiar with it. Thanks.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Northwestern Station Demolition Question Jim 04-24-2009 - 12:14
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Daniel3197 04-24-2009 - 12:31
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Jim 04-24-2009 - 12:57
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia E 04-24-2009 - 13:34
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia CNW Fan 04-24-2009 - 17:40
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Christian J. Goepel 04-25-2009 - 08:00
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question Jim 04-28-2009 - 13:33
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question Dave 05-22-2014 - 21:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com