Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia
Author: CNW Fan
Date: 04-24-2009 - 17:40

Pretty much the truth. Historic preservation is/was a joke in Chicago. There are a few reminders left in the entrances off Canal St. & Clinton ST. underneath the train shed portion. I only wish I had spent more time exploring the building when I was working there. Where Grand Central sat is still a vacant lot. I've always thought it would make a great site as a hub for a real high speed rail network out of Chicago.

However to put things in perspective the C&NW sold the depot for $18 million dollars and that same year they had profits of only $500,000. The sale kept them out of Bankruptcy long enough to get the coal financed. Those were some pretty tough years for the RR business at that time. Sometimes companies have to make regretable decisions in order to survive.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Northwestern Station Demolition Question Jim 04-24-2009 - 12:14
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Daniel3197 04-24-2009 - 12:31
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Jim 04-24-2009 - 12:57
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia E 04-24-2009 - 13:34
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia CNW Fan 04-24-2009 - 17:40
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question--Wikipedia Christian J. Goepel 04-25-2009 - 08:00
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question Jim 04-28-2009 - 13:33
  Re: Northwestern Station Demolition Question Dave 05-22-2014 - 21:56

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com