Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment
Author: D. B. Arthur
Date: 07-07-2024 - 18:58

Here's a photo I took on August 02, 1979, FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO, on a visit to British Columbia and Alberta that I've described in earlier posts.

The location is Spences Bridge, B.C., and engineer Cliff Inkster is preparing his train for departure for Penticton, 177.8 miles distant over the now-abandoned Princeton Subdivision.

At the rear of the short train is the business car "Van Horne" that is deadheading to Penticton where it will later be used for a business meeting with shippers. Besides the attendant/chef, the car will be occupied by the late railfan Dave Wilkie of Vancouver island, the late Mo Morrison, CPR agent at Penticton (and also a railfan), my Canadian friend from California Ron Davis and myself. Ron and I were tipped off by Mo to be in the right place at the right time, and that was Spences Bridge on this date.

As if this railfan-dream-come-true wasn't enough, the attendant/chef later prepared a roast beef dinner for us that we, along with the conductor, enjoyed on the way to Penticton. With the passage of so many years, I can probably be confident that my revealing of this event will not get any employees in trouble with management.

For a railfan, if it can get any better than this, I'm dumbfounded as to how.

Here's some other photos of this trip I've previously posted on Altamont Press:

[www.altamontpress.com]

[www.altamontpress.com]

[www.altamontpress.com]

Here's an interesting account of an excursion train that ran over the Princeton Sub. shortly before it was abandoned.

[www.okthepk.ca]

https://i.ibb.co/ysyWPGB/19790802-024.jpg

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment D. B. Arthur 07-07-2024 - 18:58
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment john monhoff 07-08-2024 - 00:53
  The One That Got Away . . . D. B. Arthur 07-08-2024 - 14:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com