Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment
Author: john monhoff
Date: 07-08-2024 - 00:53

Dave, Thanks so much for posting the Okanagon Express subject matter. Elizabeth and I traveled on two of these trips, the first one via CP and the second on CNR. Both trips were most enjoyable but due to abandonments are impossible to replicate today. I hadn't realized that the CP runs had happened on multiple years but the absence of large potted palms on the platform of the observation car is my clue. My most vivid memory of this trip was that when passing Osprey Lake late in the day we observed two men fishing out of a very small aluminum rowboat close to shore. One of the anglers proudly stood up to display his catch of the day which upset the balance of the boat and over they went, bait, beer, boat and all. Those of us in the observation car laughed all the remaining miles to Penticton. A few years later we returned to the Okanagon on the CNR line on the "Worlds Fair Okanagon Express" as the train was called for that year. We overnighted in a hotel in Kamloops that was having labor issues forcing us to cross picket lines to get to our rooms but the picketers were a peaceful bunch and created no problems.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment D. B. Arthur 07-07-2024 - 18:58
  Re: Submitted For Your Approval * Two-hundred-sixtieth Installment john monhoff 07-08-2024 - 00:53
  The One That Got Away . . . D. B. Arthur 07-08-2024 - 14:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com