Re: New (more accurate) article [link]
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 06-05-2009 - 09:21

Your points are taken; allow me to clarify:

I know MOW has been doing this for years. It's the same where I work, and on a different railroad. And while I can gripe about losing work, it probably won't change. And I don't know about their unions, but the UTU and the BLET are NOT, I repeat, 'NOT' acceptable to this! But the process will continue because Reagan effectively elimianted the ability to hold an EFFECTVIVE strike, and the claims and arbitration process is so encumbered with antagonism on both sides (carrier and union) that events like this will continue.

And you may be right about the operator's experience. Who knows if an Engineer or Conductor's experience would be any better? The territory qualifying process, in my humble opinion, needs far more time and trips added, but the carrier doesn't want to pay a guy for a bunch of trips.

Getting Track and Time, moving the equipment and doing the work is all part of it. But I seriously doubt the good members of the BMWE would appreciate it much if I was called on duty to move the ballast regulator from one siding to the next. Often pride in craft makes the difference in execution, and so I stand by my claim that it DOES make a difference who is doing the work.

More to the point regarding craft distinction and its inherent training and experience: Moving MOW equipment like regulators, tampers, etc. under T&T is not the same as hauling several loaded railcars behind a semi-tractor that does not have the braking advatages of the Independant, Train air, Dynamic brakes and sanders.

Also, unless I overlooked it, it was noted that a contractor- not craft personnel- was operating the equipment. Contractors are seldom required to take FRA mandated operations rules testing, are not subject to the same discipline process (which helps keep people mindful of the rules), and are seldom greatly in-tune with the subtle particulars of the territory they're working.

And, even if the truck flew off the track at the curve (which indicates a total loss of the operating situation, or perhaps a mechanical defect) the cars SHOULD have had the air cut in. There is NO excuse for that, craft/contractor argument notwithstanding. Was this person at the controls REALLY qualified for this work?

The significance of craft people vs. contractors could be argued indefinately, and I can appreciate your viewpoint. Probably the only bright spot in this whole mess was the thoughtfulness of someone lining the runaway into the ditch.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  UP six car runaway near Dunsmuir [link] OPRRMS 06-03-2009 - 17:20
  Re: UP six car runaway near Dunsmuir [link] Steven D. Johnson 06-04-2009 - 13:04
  Re: UP six car runaway near Dunsmuir [link] OPRRMS 06-04-2009 - 13:26
  New (more accurate) article [link] OPRRMS 06-04-2009 - 14:23
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Steven D. Johnson 06-04-2009 - 19:04
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] theyardmaster 06-04-2009 - 20:36
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Steven D. Johnson 06-05-2009 - 09:21
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] theyardmaster 06-05-2009 - 12:00
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Steven D. Johnson 06-05-2009 - 14:10
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Dr Zarkoff 06-05-2009 - 16:51
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] OPRRMS 06-05-2009 - 17:37
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Dr Zarkoff 06-06-2009 - 12:13
  Re: New (more accurate) article [link] Steven D. Johnson 06-07-2009 - 04:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com