Re: Pasco Yard Questions
Author: potlatcher
Date: 06-22-2009 - 12:30

Let me supplement hepkema's comments (Hi Roger, how's it going up in Spokane?). First, Pasco's "Amshack" is actually a clean, well-maintained intermodal passenger station. Second, the overpass just north of the drawbridge does have a sidewalk, I think on the south side, but there aren't many close-by parking spots. And, there is chain-link across the top of the bridge, so there are limitations to its railfanning usefulness. A better spot, I think, is a new paved pedestrian path that approaches the north "portal" of the bridge on it's west side (you can see it pretty easily from the aforementioned overpass). It's easier to park near this path, and in the afternoons, with the sun in the west, this is a pretty good spot for photography.

Finally, I know the local BNSF cop pretty well, and he is nothing but a nice guy who has only the best interests of the locals (especially the kids) in mind when doing his job. The first time I met him, I was on the receiving end of a (well deserved) verbal warning, and his foremost concern was not for my personal safety or even for his employer's liability, but for the local kids who might be more likely to approach the tracks when they see a "responsible" adult doing it. So, if he seems "humorless and cranky" in dealing with railfans who should know better than to trespass, then I say more power to him!

Tom Hillebrant

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Pasco Yard Questions almo 06-21-2009 - 22:48
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions BNSFBull 06-21-2009 - 23:42
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions hepkema 06-22-2009 - 08:00
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions potlatcher 06-22-2009 - 12:30
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions hepkema 06-22-2009 - 16:22
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions Butler 06-22-2009 - 18:16
  Re: Pasco Yard Questions Taco Time 06-26-2009 - 18:00

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com