Re: End of the line for Elvas tower
Author: Mike Swanson
Date: 03-31-2007 - 12:10

First, I'm a political independent who strongly dislikes both the DNC AND the RNC and the ignorant fools who run those organizations (not to mention some of the third party groups), so don't EVEN think of lumping me with any of those misbegotten idiots.

Second, I know goddamn well that CSRM bit off far more than it could chew when it took in the collection and that they did promise to take care of it (on paper), and the folks in charge there certainly deserve to be slammed hard for it; however as Andy points out below, politics were involved with the deal and at levels well above that of the CSRM. This was not just a simple goodwill donation; this was very much a part of the Santa Fe management's efforts to secure California's endorsement of the proposed merger with Southern Pacific. They knew damn well (or could've determined it if any of 'em had really cared) that CSRM didn't have proper storage facilites for the entire collection and that it could end up sitting outside exposed to the elements and the scum who've vandalized it.

Like I said, Santa Fe management was far more interested in cleaning up the railroad's property (including disposing of "unnecessary" structures and equipment) and in completing the merger than in what happened to a historic collection that deserved to be in the hands of a museum or historical organization that could and would take proper care of it. Go ahead and waste more hot air on this of you want; I've already wasted enough time here.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  End of the line for Elvas tower KnuckleHead 03-26-2007 - 13:36
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower David Porter 03-28-2007 - 18:29
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Mike Swanson 03-29-2007 - 11:02
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower David Porter 03-29-2007 - 20:29
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Mike Swanson 03-29-2007 - 21:54
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Andy 03-29-2007 - 23:45
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Mike Swanson 03-30-2007 - 09:37
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower David Porter 03-30-2007 - 15:06
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Andy 03-30-2007 - 21:35
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Mike Swanson 03-31-2007 - 12:10
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower David Porter 04-02-2007 - 15:13
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower Craig Tambo 04-03-2007 - 00:38
  Re: End of the line for Elvas tower David Epling 04-03-2007 - 15:05

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com