Re: Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment
Author: Gary Hunter
Date: 01-21-2010 - 15:02

It seems that a similar situation developed in the 90s when the SP Placerville branch was under abandonment proceedings, but short of approval. There were a number of groups/individuals who were interested in operating the Folsom-Placerville (Diamond Springs) segment, and I believe this is what delayed the approval. It seems that El Dorado County wanted to do some road improvements to Missouri Flats Rd., and perceiving the lack of use of the line for some time, just showed up one day with D-9s and scraped away the crossing, signals and all, leaving behind a mass of twisted junk in the wake. This didn't make the potential suitors of the line very happy. Even government agencies don't seem to give a rat's behind about following defined procedure nor giving even a cursory check as to the legal status of a rail line before doing what they perceive as work for public benefit. I don't think even SP could have legally given permission to interrupt the continuity of the line prior to abandonment approval. The line ended up in public ownership jointly by El Dorado and Sacramento Counties, but at the time these decisions were made, the line was still under Federal regulation and private ownership, and there were non-government interests that were vying for the line. I haven't been up that way in a while, so is there anyone who knows what has become of the line from Missouri Flats Rd. to Diamond Springs? There was a railroad formed that secured some type of operating agreement on the intact portion called Folsom & El Dorado. There was talk by the two counties of extending the Sac light rail to Placerville at some point in the unforeseeable future, but they were willing to allow use of the line by the F&ED for tourism purposes. I have heard through the grapevine that there have been some "galloping goose" types of excursions up to around Shingle Springs, but I know nothing more. Any news would be highly welcome.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment Jeff Moore 01-20-2010 - 20:17
  Re: Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment Matt Farnsworth 01-21-2010 - 11:15
  Re: Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment George Andrews 01-21-2010 - 11:40
  Re: Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment Gary Hunter 01-21-2010 - 15:02
  Re: Almanor Railroad Files for Abandonment Captain Underpants 01-21-2010 - 22:21

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com