Re: The Desert...
Author: Steven D. Johnson
Date: 02-07-2010 - 18:41

Nice shots, Ryan! I think the baretable is probably a Pisgah-Shafter baretable, but obviously could be going to San Berdoo or Hobart. The 'helper' on the rear of the train that the UP is passing is typically regarded as DP (Distributed Power), being that Helpers are manned, and adverstised on mountain grade districts. I like your composition, and it's not always easy getting mid-day sun to look this good. I really like the Mojave for late afternoon and early morning exposures, especially with a long lens. The desert is a really special place for photography, no doubt! One thing I'd like to do is work in some of the ghost town feel of Ludlow the next time I'm out there.

Last time, I started with the UP and went east of Daggett by about 25 miles, then back to Ludlow. Traffic on the UP was minimal, about three trains in four hours. The BNSF was pretty steady, though. This was in October. Time and money permitting, I'd like to foam the LA&SL, then west from Salt Lake over Donner and down the valley to home...lack of time and/or money keeps us from most things!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  The Desert... California_railfan 02-07-2010 - 01:48
  Re: The Desert... Sam Reeves 02-07-2010 - 13:44
  Re: The Desert... kurt 02-07-2010 - 17:53
  Re: The Desert... Bruce Stikkers 02-07-2010 - 18:00
  Re: The Desert... Steven D. Johnson 02-07-2010 - 18:41

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com