Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal
Author: wsabo
Date: 08-10-2010 - 16:00

The Capitol Corridor website posted a link to a 194 page Environmental Assesment dated August 2010 with plans or strategies to increase trains from 7 to 11 between Oakland and San Jose and Oakland and Auburn. It's very interesting reading. It has a lot of legal language about mitigation and some photos and charts.

Some of these PROPOSALS are not new. The report calls for lots of improvements including restoration of triple track between Oakland and San Pablo and various other double track additions, siding improvements shifting Capitol Corridor trains to the line that runs close to Union City BART so an Intermodal station could be built and improvements to Diridon station.

One interesting PROPOSAL to ease congestion is to reconnect Niles Canyon Railway with the main line at Niles and improve the NCRY to allow for an increasing number of double stack freight trains from Port of Oakland between Niles and CP Hearst to connect with the UP...That's assuming there'll be a huge increase in container traffic in the coming years.

As far as I know there is no funding for the project. Given the state's current budget deficit it may not happen for many years if ever. I don't even know if UP wants it or would pay some or all of the cost of it and obviously would have to clear a lot of hurdles before it happens.

It might also be a mere formality, something they're legally required to study as an option and could reject it saying it's too expensive or impractical

I believe Alameda County currently owns the old SP right of way I guess it would have to also approve this. I think they bought the ROW to preserve for future passenger rail so they may oppose

If it happens I assume UP wouldn't want Niles Canyon RY trains on the line at the same time..If the UP did say it was OK there might be conditions that make it prohibitively expensive if not mpossible for Niles Canyon RY and GGRM excursions on the line.

Does anyone at PLA or NCRY know about this?

What kind of agreement does it have with Alameda County.. Could PLA be forced to move again someday

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal wsabo 08-10-2010 - 16:00
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal Raul Nemkish 08-12-2010 - 13:11
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal OId Rivets 08-12-2010 - 21:29
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal wsabo 08-13-2010 - 06:25
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal Henry Miller 08-13-2010 - 08:47
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal wsabo 08-13-2010 - 14:02
  Re: Capitol Corridor Niles Canyon Proposal R Ruiz 08-13-2010 - 14:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com