Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions
Author: Brian McCamish
Date: 08-31-2010 - 20:16

A friend and I are heading on a week long exploration trip to Eastern Oregon. Mostly to hit and research some mining areas once again, but as part of this trip, we plan to explore what's left to the Oregon and Northwestern, some of the Edward Hines Logging branches and especially the remains of the UP Burns Branch.

I've referred to Jeff Moore's wonderful High Desert Rails website as a major reference for this trip. [www.trainweb.org]

I have a couple of specific questions for anyone who's been down there. Reference to the O&NW line...

A) I've read reference that the line south of summit and the now filled in tunnel is drivable, perhaps into Poisen Canyon. Is that still true today?

B) Are there any other sections of the grade that is accessible? Particularly curious about Silives Landing, which used to be a major Yard and Trout Creek Station, which appears to still have remains of a building and I think the water tower. The Access road to Silives Landing appears to be blocked by a new Landing Strip, so wasn't sure if a new access road built around it. The road to Trout Creek Station looks like it might be a private ranch road.

Reference to the UP Burns Branch.

A) I've heard about a tunnel that existed near Crane, but can't find any indications of a tunnel on USGS maps anywhere near Crane. I've found on maps, the tunnel 2 miles east of Juntura. Also a much longer, roughly 1/2 mile long tunnel, just west of Namorf. Both of these are regularly referred to as being filled in. I assume that means they are completely inaccessible?

B) Is the grade between Riverside and Juntera, in the canyon, drivable? Aerial photos show a nice road and LOTs of huge intact bridges. I've found one reference to this section being maintained as a canyon access road by the BLM. Would this still be true and is it open to travel?

C) Any other sections of interest that are drivable that anyone knows about?

Any additional information and tips about exploring these two lines would be welcome as well.

Thanks much

Brian McCamish
Oregon Pacific RR:
[www.oregonpacificrr.com]

Northwest Rail Research
[www.nwrailresearch.com]

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions Brian McCamish 08-31-2010 - 20:16
  Re: Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions Tom Moungovan 08-31-2010 - 20:53
  Re: Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions dan 09-07-2010 - 10:13
  Re: Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions Alan C. Miller 09-01-2010 - 09:04
  Re: Union Pacific Burns Branch Questions Geoff 09-01-2010 - 10:19
  Re: Juntura Tom Moungovan 09-02-2010 - 18:58

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com