> As a proud Tea Party member I am shouting to the
> rooftops: "No more gummint money for
> rails-to-trails!" Let 'em raise money from all
> you slender bikers. Why should some poor taxpayer
> who hasn't got the time to ride a bike, money to
> buy one, and inclination to do it pay taxes so
> others can? Let's save any tax $$ for important
> uses (e.g., grade separations).

A local bicycle advocacy group conducted a survey of its members and found that 85% own automobiles. Thus, they pay motor fuel taxes and believe, as I do, that gas tax revenues are used for transportation purposes other than roads. Having said that, I do believe there should be a taxing mechanism on bicycling for generating additional funds for trails and other bike-related amenities.
>
> I used to give to R-2-T through the Combined
> Federal Campaign but stopped because until we
> figure out how much rail capacity we will need in
> 2020 and beyond we shouldn't be making any rail
> ROW into bike trails. Once the tracks are pulled,
> getting ROW back to rail use is nearly
> impossible.

That argument might be more convincing if:

1) There was not a huge debate on Altamont Press about whether public money spent to revive the Northwestern Pacific was a wortwhile investment.

2. You could provide evidence that:

CSX regretted abandonment of a Western Maryland line west of Cumberland, MD and one of the P & LE lines in Southwestern PA

Canadian Pacific regrets the Milwaukee Road's decision to abandon its Pacific Coast Extension

Norfolk Southern regrets Conrail's decision to abandon its Williamsport - Corning (ex NYC) line.

3. If BNSF didn't recently decided to move freight off the Raton Pass Line

>
> BTW,I have ridden hundreds of miles of R-2-T
> trails in the mid-West and enjoyed them.

It's nice that you enjoyed them. Why not allow others to have the same experiences?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 Espee99 02-16-2011 - 19:18
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? George Andrews 02-17-2011 - 05:46
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? Alfred Doten 02-17-2011 - 08:36
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? Espee99 02-17-2011 - 09:43
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? Mike Pechner 02-17-2011 - 11:56
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? George Andrews 02-17-2011 - 13:04
  Re: Trainnews - volume 4 - issue 30 -- NWP to become trail ??? wsabo 02-17-2011 - 15:19
  Re: Thanks for the comments bashing the rail-to-trail folks Foamer Sarcastic 02-17-2011 - 20:17
  Re: Thanks for the comments bashing the rail-to-trail folks BOB R 02-17-2011 - 22:01
  Re: Thanks for the comments bashing the rail-to-trail folks Coal Slaw 02-19-2011 - 11:54
  Re: Thanks for the comments bashing the rail-to-trail folks 505Alive 02-17-2011 - 22:28

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com