Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum?
Author: Marty Bernard
Date: 12-17-2011 - 19:23

Glen, thanks for the post/web site describing that wonderful Museum. Let me start from a quote you wrote on your web site:

The original museum was dedicated to preserve as much as possible for those who already cared; the new direction is to attract and educate the uninitiated. I can't help but dread this necessary shift, and as a rail-fan, feel a little neglected.

As you describe the "original museum" it was a big-boys club. Nothing wrong with that. All older RR museums started that way as best I can tell. Railfans collecting historic RR artifacts and enjoying them. They made today's RR museums possible.

At some point the Museum's Directors decided to evolve the Museum and accept 501(c)3 non-profit organization status from the people (aka the federal government) changing the basic purpose of the Museum. Some would argue it only then became a museum because it became an educational institution. Its collection is the people's Colorado railroad heritage and the Museum's purpose became to teach the people about that heritage. And the Museum gained many financial advantages by becoming non-profit.

So to answer your question directly. Yes, that's how to run a RR museum. But I know members at Ry Museums who feel it's theirs and all these people are ruining it.

As a lifelong railfan and transportation professional, I love being at a RR museum and getting to teach about what I love -- getting to teach folks, especially younger ones, about their railroad heritage. I actually spend most of my time renovating pieces of the museum's collection. I having too much fun to feel neglected.

That's how I see it.

Marty Bernard
Wintering at Orange Empire Ry Museum
Perris, CA

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Glen Brewer 12-17-2011 - 16:41
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Marty Bernard 12-17-2011 - 19:23
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Eugene 12-17-2011 - 20:29
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Arlen Sheldrake 12-17-2011 - 21:03
  Arlen please contact me off-line Marty Bernard 12-18-2011 - 04:47
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? fkrock 12-18-2011 - 09:27
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Erik H. 12-18-2011 - 18:59
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Chris Fussell 12-20-2011 - 03:19
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Oregon Rain 12-20-2011 - 11:56
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? x2 Chris Fussell 12-20-2011 - 03:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com