Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum?
Author: Eugene
Date: 12-17-2011 - 20:29

In business, non-profits, any entity of this kind, there seems to be a defined lifecycle that starts with one person or a small group with a particular passion or vision founding the organization. At some point, that MUST give way to a more broad based and typically "professional" approach if the organization is to survive. This is especially true in historic preservation groups, as those with direct experience are replaced by those who know the subject only second hand.

I was, I believe, the very first Board Member of the Feather River Rail Society who was not a fan or employee of the Western Pacific railroad. Since then, there have been others, including another of our current officers. Eventually, all of them will be in my category. This is the nature of time.

Also, many organizations have discovered that the pool of fans is too small, and often not affluent enough, to support the growing expense of maintaining machines that have often been obsolete for decades and require special care and parts. We must open our doors and make ourselves understandable to the broader community, or else we risk financial ruin.

This means the experience will change, but it does not mean it must become sterile, hands-off or un-railroad. The context, experience and human story is just as important as the metal, and a true museum professional, whether paid or volunteer, understands this.

Thanks for your article.

Eugene Vicknair
Secretary - FRRS

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Glen Brewer 12-17-2011 - 16:41
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Marty Bernard 12-17-2011 - 19:23
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Eugene 12-17-2011 - 20:29
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Arlen Sheldrake 12-17-2011 - 21:03
  Arlen please contact me off-line Marty Bernard 12-18-2011 - 04:47
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? fkrock 12-18-2011 - 09:27
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Erik H. 12-18-2011 - 18:59
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Chris Fussell 12-20-2011 - 03:19
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? Oregon Rain 12-20-2011 - 11:56
  Re: Is this any way to run a railroad museum? x2 Chris Fussell 12-20-2011 - 03:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com