Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan
Author: Bruce Kelly
Date: 04-25-2012 - 12:01

Last summer I sat through a presentation on PTC implementation, given by an official from a certain Class I that is already several years into testing of related software and communication systems, as well as installation of wayside appliances. He made it plainly clear that the PTC technology mandated by our federal government will not be able to prevent every kind of collision or accident. And he said ALL railroads under the mandate are facing a sky-high brick wall with regards to the cost. Instead, his railroad and others are looking into something even more advanced (most easily described as a modern hybrid of GPS, CTC, ATS, and other technologies) that will do a better job of locating, managing, and spacing trains and personnel across the system in a way that will not only increase safety better than straight PTC but also increase capacity, reduce fuel costs, and maximize crew availability. Judging by how well Washington D.C. has (mis)managed other things, I'm afraid their increased involvement with our nation's railroads will only lead to the kind of cronyism, billion-dollar favors, and blunders that China's HSR expansion has become famous for.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan Engineer Mike 04-25-2012 - 10:49
  Its too bad that all the railroads didnt ask for an exemption <O> 04-25-2012 - 11:07
  Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan Ernest H. Robl 04-25-2012 - 11:17
  Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan Mark 04-25-2012 - 11:42
  Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan Bruce Kelly 04-25-2012 - 12:01
  Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan OPRRMS 04-25-2012 - 12:46
  The life you save, may be your own. Pdxrailtransit 04-25-2012 - 13:24
  Re: The life you save, may be your own. Ronald Ray Gun 04-25-2012 - 15:06
  How to really save lives of rail passengers Foamer Sarcastic 04-25-2012 - 19:29
  Re: The life you save, may be your own. but the crap doesn't work. CTC maintainer 04-26-2012 - 17:41
  Re: The life you save, may be your own. but the crap doesn't work. Mike Swanson 04-27-2012 - 07:21
  Re: Railroads, GOP try to delay crash prevention plan MetroTHINK 04-25-2012 - 20:49
  Foamer Sarcastic, let me buy you a beer! Pdxrailtransit 04-25-2012 - 21:32
  Re: Foamer Sarcastic, let me buy you a beer! Foamer Sarcastic 04-26-2012 - 19:00

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com