Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ
Author: Thos Engel
Date: 09-11-2012 - 21:46

What I missed by not going on the July 29th MBRRE trip, or theirs in VT in May. To get interviewed by the WSJ instead of some local NJ paper. (I had the mileage of both trips already.)
Long ago I drew my boundaries; since I live in Boston but am from Pittsburgh and had relatives in Rochester NY those boundaries are "east of the Ohio and north of the Potomac". I still remember the look on Sy Reich's face when he saw me on the platform at Grafton, WV; I explained that the trip ran thru where my grandmother grew up (Coke Region) and was married (Uniontown PA). This explains why the West Coasters and the Southerners have never seen me but have heard of me maybe. Within that territory I went after everything I could; somethings are now gone (B&O to Cincinnati, Central Mass. Branch, Grand Canyon of PA, etc.)
I do go after "connected mileage" with Inferior Connections (same town; special rules about opposite sides of bodies of water, etc.) and Superior Connections of the Lesser Kind (same facility/station, or one line bridging another, etc.) and Superior Connections of the Best Kind: the Ant Rule (an ant can crawl continuously on rail ridden over). Unfortunately I have forgotten most of the rule details but the Fundamental Rule is that you have it the way you got it, that governs everything. Let's see, Lakeville-Avon-Mortimer NY is bein done 10/27; I have Lakeville-Avon luckily and the West Shore thru Mortimer; maybe we'll get close enough that the Line-of-Sight Rule will apply and I'll Connect to the outside world...
Now--Two Queries:
1) Inheriting mileage. My mother rode the Lake Erie Franklin & Clarion in regular passenger service to visit her grandparents. How can I get it?
2) Trading Mileage. Bill Crawford--what would you "give" me for the other side of the Wide Iron? I rode Lyons-Corning twice--anyone want to trade one of those for the B&O Rockwood-Johnstown?

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Rare mileage article in WSJ TomL 09-07-2012 - 11:52
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ BOB2 09-07-2012 - 15:36
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Topeka Dan 09-07-2012 - 20:19
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ That Guy With The Genset 09-07-2012 - 22:56
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Bag of wind 09-08-2012 - 16:09
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Another C.G. Basher 09-08-2012 - 17:54
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Topeka Dan 09-08-2012 - 18:48
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Brillo 09-08-2012 - 18:45
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ One Of Those Mileage Collectors 09-08-2012 - 15:48
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Al Stangenberger 09-08-2012 - 21:18
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Argonaut 09-08-2012 - 18:36
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ BOB R 09-08-2012 - 21:21
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Z-Train 09-08-2012 - 22:03
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Argonaut 09-09-2012 - 06:09
  Re: Rare mileage article in WSJ Thos Engel 09-11-2012 - 21:46
  Re: last chance to ride out of Uniontown PA Pittsburgher 09-12-2012 - 19:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com