Re: NTSB synopsis report on Amtrak 5 vs. truck collision in Nevada
Author: DCA
Date: 12-12-2012 - 22:12

From my perspective as a retiree from a career in the public safety field, I was surprised that the NTSB recommendations did not include consideration of having the speed limit reduced at least a little where an otherwise wide-open rural highway approaches a mainline grade crossing that is used by passenger trains running at 79 mph (or more, in some locations where speeds are being increased to 100-plus).

If I recall, the speed limit on that Nevada highway was 70 mph. I don't know if that applied to large trucks/combinations, but maybe having a somewhat lower limit (60 mph) within a quarter-mile or so of that grade crossing would be useful in getting the attention of drivers, and it would theoretically also allow for shorter stopping distances.

Anyway, it wasn't mentioned.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  NTSB synopsis report on Amtrak 5 vs. truck collision in Nevada OPRRMS 12-12-2012 - 01:34
  Re: NTSB synopsis report on Amtrak 5 vs. truck collision in Nevada DCA 12-12-2012 - 22:12
  Re: NTSB synopsis report on Amtrak 5 vs. truck collision in Nevada Northern Snowman 12-13-2012 - 05:10
  Re: NTSB synopsis report on Amtrak 5 vs. truck collision in Nevada George Andrews 12-23-2012 - 10:51

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com