Re: Power Plant Curve - Harbor Belt - Wilmington, California
Author: trainjunkie
Date: 01-13-2013 - 18:56

Reminds me of another long-gone landmark in the area, Shipwreck Joey's, a topless bar that we affectionately referred to as "Titty City". It was a a little past the power plant towards San Pedro, near the current Wilmington Waterfront Park on the NE corner of Figueroa and Harry Bridges Road.

Whenever we were coming out of San Pedro to get back to home rails (UP in my case), we'd call the HBL and tell them "We're at Titty City coming your way." to get permission to approach Pier A yard and carry on to Thenard.

Shipwreck Joey's eventually closed down and was demolished but back then it not only served as a landmark for rails, but was often used as a set in films when a seedy strip club scene needed to be filmed. No doubt, in the PC world we live in today, using the term Titty City over the radio would earn the broadcaster a little time off and a trip to a sensitivity training course.

As an aside, there was also a little strip club along the Santa Fe just RR east of West Colton (between Highgrove sand Colton Crossing) that was also called by the same name when referring to the landmark. When I first hired out I found it a little confusing that there was a "Titty City" in both Wilmington and in Colton!

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Power Plant Curve - Harbor Belt - Wilmington, California Pdxrailtransit 01-13-2013 - 17:21
  Re: Power Plant Curve - Harbor Belt - Wilmington, California trainjunkie 01-13-2013 - 18:56
  Re: Power Plant Curve - Harbor Belt - Wilmington, California George Andrews 01-13-2013 - 19:30
  Re: Power Plant Curve - Harbor Belt - Wilmington, California trainjunkie 01-13-2013 - 19:44

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com