Emperor of the North
Author: Chuck in Wallowa County
Date: 03-15-2013 - 13:45

I rented and watched "Emperor of the North" yesterday for the first time. I loved the many scenes on the OP&E, and the thundering power of No. 19 made me even sadder that the promise of it steaming again on the WURR dissipated like steam in the atmosphere. Of course, I had to laugh at those technical impossibilities, like when "Train 19" barely escapes onto a siding before the "Fast Mail" whizzes past in the opposite direction through what would have been a misaligned switch. And when Shack, Ernest Borgnine's sadistic character, operates the Johnson bar and the throttle, then pushes the hogger into the engineer's seat and the hogger also operates the Johnson bar and throttle, which magically have bounced back to their original positions. Nevertheless, all in all, a great and, I think, underappreciated motion picture.

By the way, WURR now has published a schedule of 10 excursions this summer and fall under the volunteer auspices of the Friends of the Joseph Branch. WURR's Geeps will pull the usual consist. The status of Court Hammond's caboose, parked at WURR's Elgin railyard, is still in question. You'll find the schedule here. Please consider supporting WURR by partaking of Wallowa County's wildly scenic countryside.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Emperor of the North Chuck in Wallowa County 03-15-2013 - 13:45
  Re: Emperor of the North sp4294 03-15-2013 - 14:12
  Re: Emperor of the North Chuck in Wallowa County 03-15-2013 - 14:33
  Re: Emperor of the North Jim700 03-15-2013 - 16:05
  NP not a turkey trail ex-BN 03-15-2013 - 20:39
  Re: NP not a turkey trail Dave Smith 03-16-2013 - 16:45
  Re: NP not a turkey trail PNWRailfan 03-17-2013 - 17:41
  Re: Emperor of the North Arlen Sheldrake 03-15-2013 - 22:25

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com