Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs?
Author: synonymouse
Date: 03-30-2013 - 20:01

The St. Gotthard base tunnel cost $10bil for 35 miles. So we ought to be able to bore 2 six miles tunnels for around your $8bil. Would love to hear how Herr Herrenknecht would size up the job. If it costs us that much more, we have a problem, Houston. Switzerland is a pretty expensive place.

The Tejon option is much superior, vastly better than you describe. Your skepticism is thoroughly understandable, tho, as the Tejon Ranch Co. is fully aware of the treasure they are sitting on and the last thing they want is for the optimum route to be studied. So the PB-CHSRA plans are ordered to skirt around the Ranch, thereby voiding the whole idea.

Tejon is faster for everybody, except Palmdale, which is simply way off the north-south route. It is unfortunate that by the time the Santa Fe got interested in Tejon(when Socal was no longer a sleepy village) the railroad halcyon era was over and the ascension of auto and airplane had begun in earnest. If LA had been as big and rich as San Francisco in 1890 perhaps we would have the Tejon route now.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  I Agree with Quentin ... sort of ... (rant) mook 03-28-2013 - 12:44
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... sort of ... (rant) synonymouse 03-28-2013 - 13:19
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... sort of ... (rant) R Ruiz 03-28-2013 - 13:51
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... sort of ... (rant) synonymouse 03-28-2013 - 19:09
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs? BOB2 03-29-2013 - 10:07
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs? mook 03-29-2013 - 21:25
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs? synonymouse 03-30-2013 - 11:18
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs? mook 03-30-2013 - 14:35
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... Not at All-What Are Our Real Transportation Needs? synonymouse 03-30-2013 - 20:01
  Re: I Agree-There's No Way of Fixing Stupid........ BOB2 03-31-2013 - 10:59
  Re: I Agree with Quentin ... sort of ... (rant) Gary Hunter 03-30-2013 - 14:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com