Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca.
Author: 60s kid
Date: 09-08-2015 - 11:13

I was there. We had just moved to Saratoga that summer, 1966. I was a 12 year rail fan, and loved living near the tracks in Saratoga. The day of the wreck I noticed unusual traffic on the line. Strange equipment, cranes, etc. Later that day, someone heard that there was a wreck up the line. Somehow me and my brothers persuaded my dad to take us there to see it. When we arrived we found the wreck in the below grade turn where 280 freeway is today. The freeway was under construction then. There were the concrete pylons for the yet to be completed off ramp bridge from the freeway near the tracks. Someone remarked that it was lucky that the wreck did not hit the under construction bridge pylons. It was about 5 PM when we arrived. The wreck was an incredible sight. There were overturned train cars all over. The caboose was off the tracks. And there was cement power EVERYWHERE. Before my dad could object, us kids ran down to the wreck. There were dozens of others doing the same. I remember running through ankle-deep cement powder. People were entering the caboose, and had turned on some lights in it. I could not resist going into the caboose also. It is amazing that there were no cops chasing people away. The wreck was hours old at that point. One would think that there would be investigators going through it. We did not stay too long, maybe an hour. Later I wondered what happened to all that spilled cement. My dad said that within days locals had removed much of it, taking advantage of the 'free' cement. Another indication that the wreck site was not secured.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. HUTCH 7.62 09-28-2013 - 12:23
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. Jon Porter 09-28-2013 - 13:37
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. Chas 09-28-2013 - 13:42
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. HUTCH 7.62 09-28-2013 - 14:55
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. Tom Moungovan 09-29-2013 - 07:11
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. DCA 09-29-2013 - 23:18
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. Wondering Wanderer 09-29-2013 - 23:42
  Re: Train wreck in Cupertino Ca. 60s kid 09-08-2015 - 11:13

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com