Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA
Author: Jim700
Date: 01-01-2008 - 01:18

George Andrews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any Amtrak diesel locomotives in
> use on the Empire Builder at that time should have
> had the overspeed indicator trip @ 95 MPH. In
> other words, they were governed to that top speed.
> Also, the trackage would have had to be equipped
> with ATS and/or cab signals, per I.C.C. regulations,
> for any train to legally run over 79 MPH.

George, not knowing your age I have no way to know whether or not you may have witnessed pre-Ricky Gates era passenger operations on what is now the eastern half of the BNSF Fallbridge Subdivision (the ex-SP&S Second District) but I can assure you that the key word in your statement is "legally". There has never been any signal equipment installed on that line that would legally permit speeds above 79 MPH. I spent many years running passenger trains on the line in two different time periods, pre-Amtrak and post-1986, and I can tell you that after the Feds got involved with speeds following the Ricky Gates crash there was a great slow-down on that line. For instance, IIRC, there was only one curve on the 80-mile John Day Dam relocation that wasn't good for 100 MPH with heritage equipment. You had to slow down to about 85 at the rock pit because the switch at each end of the curve would disturb the stability of the cars as they entered the curve. As for Finley, 100 MPH was common at that location. Obviously the trains were not scheduled at that speed on the timetable, but when we were running late (such as with a late connection from GN #31 at Spokane) it was the norm to exceed the 79 MPH limit. The SP&S's attitude (unofficially) was: (1) We know our main line is in superior condition, (2) You hogheads know what speed it's good for and (3) Get the train in as close to on time as possible. During the time I was firing passenger prior to my promotion to hoghead I don't recall working with any hoghead who had not been at the Century mark on the speedometer when I was working with him. The fastest I recall was clocking "Rough & Ready" Eddie Annable at 106 MPH over three miles near Goodnoe. There were also some good raceways on the Third District. Two hours and fifteen minutes was the westbound time from Spokane to Pasco which included hand-lining the "Y" switch at "A" Street in Pasco and backing the half-mile into the depot. Amtrak today doesn't come even close to that figure on a straight-away run.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Key Route Ken 12-23-2007 - 15:05
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA . 12-23-2007 - 18:24
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Joshua Kind 12-23-2007 - 20:36
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Po'ed RR employee 12-27-2007 - 22:42
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Butler 12-28-2007 - 08:28
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Ryan Reed 12-29-2007 - 15:45
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA George Andrews 12-30-2007 - 10:26
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA George Andrews 12-30-2007 - 10:28
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Jim700 01-01-2008 - 01:18
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA George Andrews 01-01-2008 - 13:28
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Ryan Reed 01-02-2008 - 00:12
  Re: AMTRAK train kills a 17-year kid in Tri-Cities, WA Jim700 01-02-2008 - 18:20

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com