Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy......
Author: BOB2
Date: 11-21-2013 - 08:33

A "shorty" turntable was installed at Tweedy, as well, for the South Gate GM Plant.

The turntable at Tweedy was used to turn auto parts cars that came in and had to unloaded on the "lines" in order and from the "right" side. Auto part cars came with parts already sorted and were spotted along the auto assembly line in order of production (frames, bodies, engines, radiators, doors, trunk lids, etc.). When a car came in that needed to be unloaded from thee "right" side, it was turned and properly positioned in the line up. Occasionally we'd even turn a car for Jorgenson Steel to make unloading easier. This is all gone now, with the Alameda Corridor, although this segment still in place above.

I believe that everything a Tweedy all came out in the late 70" when it became obvious that it would no longer be needed and all the property was sold.

I don't know that much about the Gemco turntable or what the status or dates are on it, the GM Van Nuys plant operated much longer than South Gate (early 80's?), but when the GM plant closed a lot of track was taken up and reconfigured for the remaining traffic.

There was nothing better than a APW "shut down" train, sometimes only 3 cars, 3 units, a caboose, and all greens from Yuma. I will only admit that you can easily do way better than passenger running time switch to switch, and even with a road foreman of engines on board (and his "permission") I tested the potential for "high speed rail" on the Acolita grade more than once.

As a friend of mine used to remind me back then: "These are the good old days......"

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Turntable at GEMCO ??? George Andrews 11-21-2013 - 06:11
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... BOB2 11-21-2013 - 08:33
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... George Andrews 11-21-2013 - 08:58
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... HollySugarSW1 11-21-2013 - 09:24
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... Rich Hunn 11-21-2013 - 12:36
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... BOB2 11-21-2013 - 14:58
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... Rich Hunn 11-21-2013 - 15:24
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... SLOCONDR 11-21-2013 - 15:42
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... SLOCONDR 11-21-2013 - 15:35
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? And, Tweedy...... Rich Hunn 11-21-2013 - 16:34
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? OPRRMS 11-21-2013 - 16:41
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? CPRR 11-22-2013 - 15:07
  Re: Turntable at GEMCO ??? George Andrews 11-22-2013 - 16:07

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com