Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC
Author: ex-BN
Date: 12-07-2013 - 09:31

I think this E.O. makes sense. While it seems like overkill I think its a good reaction to the situation.

Right not Metro North has a cab signalling system that stops trains that approach a slow signal restriction if the engineer does not slow the the train. I was on one of the modern versions of the Budd RDC (I forget the term for them. SPV?) when the engineeer got a penalty stop while approaching a cross-over. I talked the engineer and he told me he was slowing but not as much as required to please the system.

At the curve near Spuyten Duyvil I believe it would be fairly simple to add a signal indication that would require a 30 mph speed although not requiring trains to be prepared to stop such as is used at a crossover. Since the system is already equipped to do this I am sure this would be a quick fix. The idea of adding a person to the cab in the mean time is to install a level of safety but also will be the incentive that MN will have to quickly get the hardware in place. The FRA is not trying to add a person to the cab of most passenger trains. The just want MN to make the fix. A similar situation exsisted in Boston and was fixed after a wreck although I'm not up on the details.

All of this is just my opinion and interpretation of what I've read. I'm a long time railroader and engineer (But not in New York) and am very familiar with the area where the Metro North derailment happened. I've been closely following the case since last Sunday and am getting most of my information from engineers that operate in this territory.

An interesting fact that came up is that the maximum authorized speed on this line is 90 mph and the train's overspeed is 93 mph. So I'd say there is a need for speed protection for the 30 mph curves.

Another fact is that the conductor is not allowed to ride with the enginner on MN as it might be a distraction. However, after the last stop at 125th street the conductor is REQUIRED to ride with the engineers into GCT. This is because of the highly complex throat trackage and many signals. All of which are underground and poorly lit. It looks like the FRA wants MN to add that requirement just a few miles earlier at Spuyten Duyvil.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR OPRRMS 12-06-2013 - 20:29
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR SP5103 12-06-2013 - 23:21
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR Graham Buxton 12-07-2013 - 04:30
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR J 12-07-2013 - 05:22
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR Rich Hunn 12-07-2013 - 08:31
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC ex-BN 12-07-2013 - 09:31
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC Mark 12-07-2013 - 13:08
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC ex-BN 12-07-2013 - 13:48
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC The Unprofessional Iconoclast 12-07-2013 - 14:06
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC Mark 12-07-2013 - 16:27
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC mook 12-07-2013 - 16:40
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC mook 12-07-2013 - 16:42
  Re: FRA issues E.O. 29 to MNCR--Not PTC Rich Hunn 12-07-2013 - 18:18

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com