Re: Highway Homicide?
Author: George Andrews
Date: 03-21-2014 - 10:53

I agree, BOB R; however this is a sticky argument. Those of us here on AP know that a Million Dollars spent on a RAIL project, will go further than the same Million Dollars spent on highways. So I am kinda - sorta in favor of STATE Highway tax money being used for Rail Commuter and Rail / Road separation projects. But I am still wary of any diversion from the Federal Highway Trust Fund for non - highway uses. As a Professional CDL Truck Driver ( for 25 years now ), I have seen the deterioration of the Interstate Highways in the West. While the higher weight limits have certainly contributed to the damage, one issue that was overlooked in the article is the age of the highways themselves. There are stretches of Interstate 5 in Los Angeles that date back to 1948, well before the Interstate & Defence Highway System Act was ever enacted!!! How is this possible ??? Because some stretches of what is now I-5 were built as U.S. 101. The article fails to point out that a certain amount of the deterioration is due to the age of the highway itself !!! East Coast Interstates have an additional cause in the form of the hard winters they experience. So let's keep spending the Federal Highway taxes on the Federal Highways only.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Highway Homicide? OldPoleBurner 03-18-2014 - 09:34
  Re: Highway Homicide? Phoebe Snow's Boyfriend 03-18-2014 - 17:42
  Re: Highway Homicide? Cha-Ching! 03-19-2014 - 08:12
  Re: Highway Homicide? George Andrews 03-19-2014 - 15:28
  Re: Highway Homicide? OldPoleBurner 03-19-2014 - 18:46
  Re: Highway Homicide? Bo Darville 03-19-2014 - 17:44
  Re: Highway Homicide? hciskcaj werd 03-19-2014 - 18:24
  Re: Highway Homicide? George Andrews 03-20-2014 - 11:21
  Re: Highway Homicide? BOB R 03-20-2014 - 14:33
  Re: Highway Homicide? George Andrews 03-21-2014 - 10:53
  Re: Highway Homicide? BOB R 03-21-2014 - 21:36

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com