Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine?
Author: BOB2
Date: 10-13-2014 - 19:13

Good job.

Beaumont Book is a good source, and Huell Howser once did pretty good story on them.

Don't know that the gubmint had much to do with the end of the submarines, although many were abandoned and were condemned and torn down, if not maintained.

SP finally wanted them gone, too, I think some time around 71. A few others were scattered around town and survived, but most were off of the lead between where the Old Indio Station was and the 1878 Indio Roundhouse.

I seem to recall most of the ones on the property were almost all gone the last summer I worked the East End (1972) just before West Colton opened. But, yeah, it was really air conditioning, and the coming end of the Indio Yard, finally did them in.

Bobby Baker had one I spent the night in once... the really dry air made and the evaporative cooling actually made these very comfortable, at night. Air conditioned rooming houses and hotels were the preferred choice when I go Shanghai'd to Indio, though.

Other answers to Submarine Trivia:

Rule 104C

The story goes that Knucklehead wouldn't switch out Patton's half track at Indio in 1942..., so the story goes, and after refusing to do it several times to officers of ever increasing rank, reportedly found himself being threatened with immediate induction into the army, it is reported that he promptly bid a job LA. (This story was officially "fact checked" by switchmen, for what that's worth....?)

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Did you ever sleep in a submarine? BOB2 10-11-2014 - 18:50
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? George Andrews 10-11-2014 - 22:52
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? Jack Williams 10-13-2014 - 12:10
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? George Andrews 10-13-2014 - 18:36
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? BOB2 10-13-2014 - 19:13
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? George Andrews 10-13-2014 - 20:34
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? BOB2 10-14-2014 - 00:02
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? OPRRMS 10-14-2014 - 11:38
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? WebDigger 10-14-2014 - 14:01
  Re: Did you ever sleep in a submarine? Bill Donnelly 10-14-2014 - 19:19

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com