The Only Constant Is Change...
Author: Harry
Date: 11-17-2014 - 23:52

Watching that KTVU link earlier made me do a lot if reflecting about the railfan hobby and all railroad fan hobbies in general.

They way things were 4 decades ago and before in railroading were of a romantic essence. The old depot, the countless short lines and regionals. Walking around industrial properties taking pictures. 40 foot boxcars with their doors wide open, feet swinging out on the edge hitchin a ride across the West or whatever.

We've moved on and some say for the better and I honestly won't argue that on some points like safety and efficiency.

I guess with less of our society having a direct interaction with railroads on a daily basis like employment or the only mode of transportation, we don't as a whole hold it in regard as important anymore. Eventually communities look forward to shutting down lines, quieting crossings almost as if trains are a looked down upon step child.

Model railroad shops are closing. Toy train hobby fairs and shows are sparsely attended compared to just 15 years ago in my area.

The newsletters for a variety of train museums and non profits I belong to are getting louder and more incessant with their call for more volunteers. While some are an exception thanks to great organization and adherence to goals, most of the weaker ones will no doubt fade out, be absorbed by other groups or even worse be liquidated.

My heart aches a bit as write this. I find hope in some bright spots it overall things aren't looking good for this railroad thing we are all fans of. Just my 2 bits.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  The Only Constant Is Change... Harry 11-17-2014 - 23:52
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... Glass half full 11-18-2014 - 01:12
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... Tony Johnson 11-18-2014 - 05:43
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... BOB2 11-18-2014 - 07:24
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... Ivy Mike 11-18-2014 - 08:23
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... Todd 11-18-2014 - 08:18
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... D Ingleberry 11-18-2014 - 08:53
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change... Todd 11-18-2014 - 09:15
  Re: The Only Constant Is Change...and Curmudgeon's? BOB2 11-18-2014 - 09:52
  Change is Eternal, External, and Internal [ET] That Genset Foamer 11-18-2014 - 10:10
  Change Nickle Ninety Five 11-18-2014 - 18:52
  Re: Change is Eternal, External, and Internal E 11-19-2014 - 11:12

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com