Re: CP Business Train not going well
Author: SP5103
Date: 03-31-2015 - 23:57

Had some work I could do at Boardman and Wallula today, so thought why not see the CP/UP biz train. Figured if they left Portland at 9a they should hit Hinkle by maybe 1p. Saw quite a few trains through Boardman, and was surprised by the Castle Local showing up with a handful of cars and a pair of GP60s just after noon, about 5 hours earlier than normal. Heard for the next month that the local had been bumped to days due to a night work window. Plenty of new ties laying next to the track, and a couple light towers seem to confirm that the Blues and the Gorge should see most of the trains in the daylight in April.

Gave up about 2 and went for lunch and on to Wallula. About 3p saw at least three different groups of the rail gang clearing up. Not sure how their day window will work with the night window, but they have got most of the rail relaid from what I could tell so may be done fairly soon. Saw a couple contractor's Brandts with heavy carts hauling scrap rail out. Got what I needed done, and still no biz train or anything on UP had gone by. Headed towards home back down the canyon and found a southbound that had been in the yard in the hole at Juniper but hanging out by at least 12 cars, plus looked like a red board was still up. Just past the overpass found the biz train stopped. Heard from another chaser about the fire. Headlight came on and off several times over many many minutes. They said something about the Form B being in effect until 5p, but I didn't see anything obvious holding them up.

They finally got moving about 5:15 with UP 5543 very dead, no headlight or mu connected running from the CP 4107 (appeared to be the only running unit). I did notice a few people in the theater car. Once at Juniper, they had to wait for the southbound to get a signal and clear up the north end. I did encounter a UP Special Agent and must say it was very positive, unlike some of the horror stories that have heard about other areas. Train finally made the south end of Wallula at 6p where they nosed into the yard to cut of the offending GE. UP 1214 and 1010 from the local were there waiting for them. There had been talk about them rescuing the train at Juniper, and I would have bet they would have used them on the point. After a little while, the GPs took off up the main and continued with their normal trip to Kennewick. At 6:40, with the sun low in the sky firmly behind some clouds, the train departed Wallula going by the paper plant.

My comments - I assume that this wasn't just a CP/UP meet and greet using the train at Portland, but that the main event was the trip back with a train load of UP and CP officials. First - A beat up AC45ACTE with faded paint was the best that UP could do? It would have been class to put one of the UP Es on it for cab signals, or at least one of the new 8200s or 2500s that show up here often these days. Second - They couldn't get the rail gang to knock off a little early to not delay the train, and at least limit trains to lengths that will fit in the available sidings? There seemed to be plenty of lime-yellow vests around, both on and following the train, but it was painful to watch. The last I saw the rear cars were empty, so I presume the VIPs were eating dinner - probably with a stiff drink. It was painful to watch, and I can't help but think that for whatever reason they have forgotten how to railroad. I remember seeing the last big Santa Fe biz train out of San Diego. When I saw them putting the ATS shoe on the lead FP45 I knew they weren't going to be fooling around. One photo location on each side of Miramar Hill, and then they were gone at 90 with no chance of ever catching them. I'm sure UP left an impression today, just not maybe what they intended.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy Bill Maltby 03-29-2015 - 08:54
  Re: CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy Richard O, 03-30-2015 - 06:53
  Re: CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy kcjones 03-30-2015 - 18:50
  Re: CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy Bruce Kelly 03-31-2015 - 05:51
  Re: CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy ? ? ? ? 03-31-2015 - 14:31
  Re: CP Business Train on UP SI & Washy PhatPhomar 03-31-2015 - 16:26
  Re: CP Business Train not going well Bill Maltby 03-31-2015 - 20:31
  Re: CP Business Train not going well Bruce Kelly 03-31-2015 - 20:45
  Re: CP Business Train not going well Bill Maltby 03-31-2015 - 20:52
  Re: CP Business Train not going well SP5103 03-31-2015 - 23:57
  Re: CP Business Train not going well Richard 04-01-2015 - 06:35
  Re: CP Business Train not going well Karma ! ! ! 04-01-2015 - 12:18
  Re: Wednesday's Run Bill Maltby 04-01-2015 - 13:46

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com