Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak
Author: Ernest H. Robl
Date: 05-08-2008 - 08:54

Yes, but the tragedy is for the train crew members who have to witness such an event, particularly knowing that they cannot stop in time.

At Operation Lifesaver meetings, I have encountered a number of engineers who have been involved in fatal incidents -- either grade crossing or trespasser -- and they are never quite the same afterwards. And it doesn't even have to be a fatal incident, just one where someone is injured.

A common misconception is that in Europe all rights of way are fenced. That really isn't true, as it would be way too expenvive. Yes, rights of way in some urban areas are fenced, though, in most cases, the rail line runs on an elevated viaduct through urban areas to avoid grade crossings. And, therefore, there's no need for fencing.

But in the countryside, fencing is rare: http://obb-1044/obb/I-000825.htm (I think what you see on the right side of this photo is a guard rail for a road -- not really a fence.)

The major difference is that Europeans are well aware that trains do run on these lines -- and that they run frequently and are often very quiet (electric propulsion). However, on trips where I was able to ride an engine in Europe for photography, I have had engineers there tell me of a few close calls with trespassers too. However, the incidents are not nearly as frequent as they are in the U.S.

In the U.S. grade crossing incidents are generally in decline while trespasser incidents are on the rise. Operation Lifesaver is now putting increased emphasis on trespasser incidents.

-- Ernest

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak GN Goat 05-08-2008 - 02:09
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak J 05-08-2008 - 05:01
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Bruce B 05-08-2008 - 08:32
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Ernest H. Robl 05-08-2008 - 08:54
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Richard 05-08-2008 - 11:07
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Ernest H. Robl 05-08-2008 - 11:20
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak S.L. Murray 05-08-2008 - 12:16
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Relay 05-08-2008 - 15:07
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Relay 05-08-2008 - 15:07
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak johnwvan 05-08-2008 - 15:35
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak George Andrews 05-08-2008 - 16:54
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak GN Goat 05-09-2008 - 01:33
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Relay 05-09-2008 - 07:59
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak Ryan Reed 05-09-2008 - 15:10
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak GN Goat 05-09-2008 - 17:40
  Re: Man killed on tracks in Auburn, WA by Amtrak George Andrews 05-12-2008 - 19:31

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com