Re: Geiger Spur
Author: Butler
Date: 07-11-2008 - 11:46

Roger, I appreciate your accurate comments. I can think of a lot of words to describe that curve at the end of the line, NONE very civil. I do hope that it gets redone with the upgrades, or in short order thereafter.

The construction is advancing from the south end junction with EWG north. Yesterday they were leveling the ballast. I spoke with a surveyor at the site who indicated that the first ties should arrive on Monday. He said that the siding will be 1100 feet north of the junction switch. The whole new line is about 18,900 feet long which translates to 3.58 miles. He indicated it will be jointed rail, possibly 115#.

Will this new junction with the EWG get a name? A couple of ideas might be "WRS Jct" or "Geiger Jct", or maybe "SPOCO Jct".

I hadn't heard about the possibility of retaining that long stretch of track from the north junction toward the base. That track is in reasonably good condition and could have some handy uses, especially for future growth. Isn't future growth one of the main reasons why why we are doing this project? I certainly think so.

The informational meeting on 7/21 that I mentioned in post #2 ought to be interesting.

Tobasco - Yes, the original Geiger Spur circled around the south end of Geiger field and ended at several warehouses on the east side of Geiger Field. This was an AFB fighter plane base during and after WWII, into the 1950s. I am guessing that about 2.5 miles of trackage were removed and abandoned about 1978.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Geiger Spur Newt Taylor 07-09-2008 - 18:20
  Re: Geiger Spur Butler 07-09-2008 - 19:24
  Re: Geiger Spur hepkema 07-10-2008 - 07:49
  Re: Geiger Spur Tabasco 07-11-2008 - 09:53
  Re: Geiger Spur Butler 07-11-2008 - 11:46
  Re: Geiger Spur Geiger names 07-11-2008 - 12:26
  Re: Geiger Spur names Butler 07-11-2008 - 12:33

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com