Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage
Author: Gary Waddell
Date: 08-19-2008 - 21:30

As of Sunday afternoon:

- The rail removal equipment was at the switch at Lorenz, the switch was lined for the spur, so I would presume that that was their next target.

- There was still a section of rail on the Sierra Branch from just north of the (PG&E?) electrical transmission easement back towards the mill complex.

- Three of the per diem boxdolas at Cayton were loaded with rail, two of the cars sporting a very visible downward sag of the side sills.

- The 'lids' to the boxdolas and their old doors were south-southeast of the engine house, between it and the scale house track.

It appears that the tracked-equipment is removing rail and piling the scrap materials on the right-of-way, but leaving the ties in place. The flatbed trucks based in Burney are driving the right-of-way and removing the ties from the ballast, placing them out of the way, and then loading the rail and scrap materials onto the flatbed. The scrap material is being piled in the Burney Yard, presumably loaded into open top tractor-trailers. The rail is presumably being trucked to Cayton and transloaded into the boxdolas... I also spotted four or five gondolas attached to caboose #102 on the east leg of the McCloud wye on Sunday evening. However, I am unsure what was being loaded into the gondolas... Possibly scrap ties, when the time comes?

Pure conjecture on my part, I have not seen any of the equipment in action.

Questions:

- Who owns the right-of-way at this time and what will become of it after the salvage is complete?

- What will become of the hulk of the Red Goose, hidden in the forest at Kinyon?

- Will they *really* remove the Britton Bridge? Seems like more effort than it's worth, unless they leave the piers and abutments in place.

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Jeff Moore 08-18-2008 - 22:51
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Adam Cox 08-19-2008 - 06:47
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Stevo del Applegato 08-19-2008 - 13:58
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Gary Waddell 08-19-2008 - 21:30
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Jeff Moore 08-19-2008 - 22:17
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Mike Milaich 08-20-2008 - 10:27
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Jeff Moore 08-20-2008 - 22:19
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Gary Waddell 08-20-2008 - 22:47
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage GN Goat 08-21-2008 - 01:48
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Dick Zellerbach 08-21-2008 - 08:25
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage mook 08-22-2008 - 17:57
  Re: McCloud Railway- photos of the carnage Capdiamont 08-22-2008 - 12:37

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com