Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really?
Author: BOB2
Date: 12-02-2018 - 08:23

Ban Cars, Build Trains..... WTF?

What kind of drugs are they giving you for these hallucinations you (and Mouse) are having? You have a problem with the freedom, economic opportunity, and just the joy of seeing new places and things, that modern mobility and access gives us? How exactly did the food you eat get to the market?

So, I guess my neighbor can quit his job and go on welfare because you don't want him drive his electric Nissan Leaf to work (oh, he manages construction projects and has to work at multiple locations throughout SouCal, and did his own home fast charge installation, so he could get his license to do them commercially, and has done dozens), right?

You discredit your own views, many of which I share, when you make yourself look like a ranting loon, with unthinking reactionary emotional twaddle, like that.

Actually my old friend and colleague Stan Hart one the people who introduced me to parking management, back when he was still alive and the Transportation Chair of the Sierra Club, estimated that if you include all driveway, street parking, lot parking, employee parking, there are actually as many as 27 parking space per vehicle in Southern California. And, I've also managed and worked with Dr. Don Shoup, at UCLA, the guru of parking economics on parking demand, parking pricing, and the effects on mode choice, and done several large scale parking pricing, parking census, and mode choice studies myself. So, your parking estimate is actually way off.

If you want to make effective arguments, you'll need to do better than that.

I agree that we need more intercity, interurban, regional, and local rail transit connectivity with much higher service levels. Which is why I'm so opposed to the grotesque taxpayer financed boondoggle which is pissing away billions of scarce taxpayer dollars on the "runaway money train". This is money being spent on a system that serves none of our "real" deficiencies in travel demand, will alleviate no congestion, will cost about twice air fares to operate and ride, which has had the effect of discrediting the entire rail passenger investment and efforts in CA, with its sheer waste, utter incompetence.

Of course, Clem, will now attack me, because I'm such a know it all, and it's probably his job on the taxpayer dime, since he won't give us anything but PR spin, to base his "pronouncements" of greatness for all things CHSRA, and he refuses to answer any of my criticisms with effective arguments, and always seems to use the demagogue's favorite trick of attacking the messenger, when cornered.

I took hard math, I served on a committee both as a technical advisors and as a voting member of an agency that funded demonstrations of air pollution reduction technologies. I've been to the JPL Von Karmin series free lectures about every other month for the last ten years. And so, as a result, I do think that global warming is real, and that the current rate of increase is caused by human activity.

I don't think that global warming is a "hoax". I don't think it is a "vast conspiracy" across tens of thousands of folks, across dozens and dozens of nations, going on for the last 175 years, in order to fake the worldwide temperature data. I think that most evidence now clearly shows that long term increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide is coming from a small (only about 4%-5% in excess of earth's natural carbon dioxide cycle) but continuous increasing levels of greenhouse gases, being caused by burning 300 million years of sequestered carbon in coal and petroleum in about 200 years, over half of that in just the last 50 years. So, I'm not going to be that popular on here with some of those who believe conspiracy theory loony tune nonsense about that, either.

But, if you really want to have better rail services, and solve problems, like global warming, improving traffic safety, reducing so-called "auto-dependency" (I've actually worked with Jeff Kenworthy, too) then you're going to need to offer effective solutions, not the kind of emotional nonsense, and reactionary twaddle, that actually makes your arguments ineffective, or the slavish PR "build it and they will come" hype and "visionary" nonsense one hears burbling forth from Clem's gob.....

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign BOB2 11-30-2018 - 00:47
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign Ed Workman 11-30-2018 - 07:31
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign synonymouse 11-30-2018 - 09:51
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign J Mann 11-30-2018 - 15:36
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign Commenter 11-30-2018 - 17:49
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign synonymouse 11-30-2018 - 18:18
  Re: Call for CHSRA Chairman to Resign Clem 11-30-2018 - 19:32
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? BOB2 12-01-2018 - 07:04
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? Clem 12-01-2018 - 10:15
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? synonymouse 12-01-2018 - 11:38
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? ALEXANDERHAIG2 12-01-2018 - 14:04
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? B6sa 12-01-2018 - 14:24
  Re: Even if it costs $100 Billion It is Worth It, Based on What? commenter 12-01-2018 - 18:57
  Ban Cars, Build Trains R Ruiz 12-02-2018 - 00:38
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains tundraboomer 12-02-2018 - 04:42
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really? BOB2 12-02-2018 - 08:23
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really? synonymouse 12-02-2018 - 10:19
  Improving traffic flows on roads Engr 12-02-2018 - 10:39
  Re: Improving traffic flows on roads Mr. Muldoon 12-02-2018 - 10:48
  Re: Improving traffic flows on roads Dr Zarkoff 12-02-2018 - 13:53
  Re: Improving traffic flows on roads nibbling on the edges 12-02-2018 - 14:09
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really? Clem 12-02-2018 - 18:07
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really? "Peurile" Wow, using the big words???? BOB2 12-02-2018 - 21:21
  Re: Ban Cars, Build Trains-Really? "Peurile" Wow, using the big words???? synonymouse 12-02-2018 - 23:42
  Did you know that John Kerry served in Vietnam? Pureed cat food (Russian) 12-03-2018 - 08:25

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com