Re: Emergency services
Author: almo
Date: 02-24-2007 - 00:21

I like the story Craig. Seems like the general public could use a little "media focus" to enlighten themselves. It would do good, as everyone knows what a Boeing 747 is, and no idea of what an "Amtrak train" is. The shift of most transportation network interest is into aircraft and marine services. It would be nice if there was a little more focus on the railroad aspect of transportation. Almost all the really toxic, dangerous products will move through a city by rail, and if anyone can help avoid a catastrophe derailment in their backyard, we will all be better off. A few months back, the Airbus A380 demonstrator aircraft made a pit stop at YVR (Vancouver, BC airport). It was the only North American stop on the tour of ten airports. The news and the gemeral public were all over this story in Vancouver. I even called into the place that I worked at to inform them I would be watching it come into the airport- and no problem by my boss. He wanted to see the pictures after I arrived. The same would not be said if I wanted to watch the first Green Goat pull off the factory floor at Railpower Industries.

In 1992, I was railfanning around Baker City. OR. The EB Amtrak Pioneer was running behind schedule by about one hour. Having found a suitable place to park near a grade crossing by the depot in town, I watched the train pull out of the station. As the train approached, the grade crossing started to light up and the arms fell into position. As the far one set itself parallel to the ground, the wooden piece with lights attached fell onto the road. I caught the engineer calling the DS to inform him to contact someone to fix it on my scanner. The reply from the DS was that it would be fixed. A guy in a truck leaned it against the rest of the indicator mast. In the morning, the arm was still propped up against the mast of the crossing indicator. I headed towards the nearest payphone to call UP's 1-800 number. after doing so, the chatter on the scanner started to place blame on the DS of the evening before for not relaying the information to the right people who could fix it.

almo

Subject Written By Date/Time (PST)
  Emergency services Dick Seelye 02-23-2007 - 18:34
  Re: Emergency services Craig Tambo 02-23-2007 - 23:19
  Re: Emergency services almo 02-24-2007 - 00:21
  Re: Emergency services Andy 02-24-2007 - 02:47
  Re: Emergency services DCMcGill 02-24-2007 - 09:10
  Re: Emergency services Ernest H. Robl 02-24-2007 - 09:23
  Re: Emergency services mike b 02-24-2007 - 19:24
  Re: Emergency services Ross Hall 02-26-2007 - 10:26

Go to: Message ListSearch
Subject: 
Your Name: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This message board is maintained by:Altamont Press
You can send us an email at altamontpress1@gmail.com